FSA Headset, how the hell...

Comeback

My stupid question for the day: I took out a spacer on the fork and did it as follows. Loosened the bolts on the sides of the stem, loosened the headset cap and took the bar/stem off. Put it back in reverse order, but no matter how much I tighten the cap, it still has a lot of play. I see it has two allen key inserts. I used the smaller diameter one.

Can someone please tell me how to fix the problem?

Comeback2010-02-17 02:21:58

tighten the headset cap first and then the stem bolts

Had the same prob on my mtb.

First u have to tighten the headset cap to pull it up and make it tight

Then then ones to secure it to the stem

I did the above and it worked for me!

Damn Blackberry, have to start a thread and then edit...

I don't think it's upside down. It was fine before and I didn't take anything on the cap part apart. The parts can only be put together in one way in any case.

I have done this before on my previous bike, no problem. Any other suggestions? How difficult can it be? I took things apart in 3 steps and reversed it again putting it back.

tighten the headset cap first and then the stem bolts

Had the same prob on my mtb.

First u have to tighten the headset cap to pull it up and make it tight

Then then ones to secure it to the stem

I did the above and it worked for me!

Yip, exactly what I did, but still...

It sounds like the stem is bottoming out on the round stem cap. There must be a couple of millimeters of space between the top of the steerer and the top of the stem to allow for adjustment of the bearing pre-load. You are not clear on what you did with the spacer but the right thing would have been to put it on top of the stem.

If yours is the same as mine, with an expanding "plug" you need to tighten the cap with the larger allen key first to position the plug tight on the steerer and then the smaller allen key pulls everything together (or the other way round) - just check the action of the plug while outside the steerer.