Anthem frame cracked anybody else with same probl

Konaman

A friend of mine who has a Giant WSD Anthem thats only a year old, got a surprise when she washed her bike on Friday. The weld at the bottom of  the seatpost is cracked all around where the top tube is linked.

Has anybody else had this problem? I believe the Giant  dealers in SA dont have a spare frame, and she is doing the Sani2c soon.Ouch

Konaman2010-02-17 14:45:04

Yup, saw one this afternoon. Not sure which Anthem, but it was cracked vertically on the top tube, right next to the top-tube/seat-tube weld.

I didn't take photos though but may have another opportunity to do so.

don't know about the cracks, but i had a look at their stock lists last weekend and dragon have very little stock of any giants.

Yip had the same problem on the Giant Reign - crack in the same place........ Giant wasn't to interrested.......  I think we should take our case up with Dragon Sports.......  It seems that their "Maestro" range is keen to crack at the top tube seatpost connection.

At Holy, We unloaded two containers this week and sent out Anthem X ADV SL 0's to a few shops along with Anthem X and Trance X bikes. We also got in TCR's and a range of frames. If you have inside info on a companies stock holdings, I think you should keep it to yourself, don't you? Especialy if it is outdated.

At Pappa Bear, I have already replied to your PM and given you the details to follow. Also you frame was repainted and no bicycle company covers resprayed or modified frames.

From the continuous cable routing thread: The South African Consumer Protection Act makes it unlawful for the manufacturer to refuse a non-modification related guarantee.

Hard to see how painting a frame could cause it to crack.

Also at Pappa Bear, I've been informed that we sent you a replacement main frame at a really good price and you refused it.

"The South African Consumer Protection Act makes it unlawful for the manufacturer to refuse a non-modification related guarantee."

Bikes aren't guaranteed.

At Holy' date=' We unloaded two containers this week and sent out Anthem X ADV SL 0's to a few shops along with Anthem X and Trance X bikes. We also got in TCR's and a range of frames. If you have inside info on a companies stock holdings, I think you should keep it to yourself, don't you? Especialy if it is outdated.

[/quote']

glad to hear it. the 2010 bikes are schweet!

Also at Pappa Bear' date=' I've been informed that we sent you a replacement main frame at a really good price and you refused it.

"The South African Consumer Protection Act makes it unlawful for the manufacturer to refuse a non-modification related guarantee."

Bikes aren't guaranteed.

[/quote']

that claim was never justified.

I really dont want to get involved but thought I would give my 2 cents worth. 

If you are shopping around for a bike and not happy with the warranty policy or the fact that it can't be repsrayed, or that the warranty doesnt carry to the next owner, then dont buy the bike.  Its simple.  Its got nothing to do with 'The South African Consumer Protection Act'. 

As long as the supplier lives up to there warranty/back up policy in their owners manual, thats all you should be worried about right?

It is more or less standard that if you modify say for instance a car, you also forfeit the warranty, so same should apply to a bike frame

It is more or less standard that if you modify say for instance a car' date=' you also forfeit the warranty, so same should apply to a bike frame

[/quote']

here's the relevant portion of the act:

Implied warranty of quality
56. (1) In any transaction or agreement pertaining to the supply of goods to a consumer there is an implied provision that the producer or importer, the distributor and the retailer each warrant that the goods comply with the requirements and standards contemplated in section 55, except to the extent that those goods have been altered contrary to the instructions, or after leaving the control, of the producer or importer, a distributor or the retailer, as the case may be.

Personally I have claimed 4 cracked frames from dragons and never had any problems.

I was looking at getting a giant anthem. Decided against it for the time being.

But after reading that post I think Im glad I decided against it. Gees 4 frames?? Thats hectic!!!

Personally I have claimed 4 cracked frames from dragons and never had any problems.

I was looking at getting a giant anthem. Decided against it for the time being.

But after reading that post I think Im glad I decided against it. Gees 4 frames?? Thats hectic!!!

A few years back they had a batch of TCR's that cracked like rice cakes.

At Ghost Face.......

I beg to differ....... you tried to sell me a front triangle of an older moddel diffrent colour, wrong size for +R3500.00.... SHOCK ALSO excluded.......

Yes I refused because I am not gona be ripped off! 

So guess what....... I am now riding a Morewood and will never ride a Giant again and will advice everybody to steer clear of the maestro range due to bad design...Angry

A few years back they had a batch of TCR's that cracked like rice cakes.

Do you have anything to back this claim up. How many frames need to crack to be put in the "rice cakes" catagory?

I'm not denying that some frames do crack, Xl more than any other size ( might be the extra torque from larger/heavier bodies on longer seat posts. I'm no engineer).

I, personaly, don't believe this to be a design fault, which was the reason for this thread being started.