exploit the business to make a buck...

Stretch

dont know if this has been posted/mentioned before, but I just saw this today and it blows me away what the gov will do to make a quick buck.

"Any pub, restaurant, hotel or university wanting to screen World Cup games and sell liquor at the same time could first have to fork out R50 000 for a special liquor licence.

This is according to draft legislation gazetted by the Department of Trade and Industry on January 18, which was open for comment until yesterday.

According to the "2010 Soccer World Cup Liquor Policy" any "public viewing event" where matches are broadcast to an audience - "general public or otherwise" - will need the special licence to sell alcohol."

more here

was reading it this morning, and legal eagles are saying it's inconstitutional and will challenge it in court. quite a cheek, considering they have accused the airlines and accomodation providers of profiteering.

'it's inconstitutional and will challenge it in court'

I guess that will have them shivering in their boots, sure! If they want it they will just do it .......

'it's inconstitutional and will challenge it in court'

I guess that will have them shivering in their boots' date=' sure! If they want it they will just do it .......
[/quote']

no, seriously, it seems they stand a good chance of success. the dti has apparently gone beyond its own mandate her, not to mention lacks the capacity to enforce such a law.

the other big scam there is that they department is demanding 2% of turnover.

Are they going to drop in at every pub or restuarant to do a check up? What's the disciplinary steps going to be like for people not adhering to these new "regulations"?

Ridiculous....

its more than likely gonna be squashed, but can you believe the gall to even try and pass this through, nevermind the short-sightedness of the whole thing! twits the lots of them!

Fifa is a big skelm. The other morning on the radio the smart people want to take Fifa to court because they, Fifa, insist that all the small businesses around the stadiums must be closed and their signs removed. Their argument is that "it will look bad on TV if non-WC member get free advertising". They also mentioned that Fifa told the organising committee where to build stadiums. Not where they are needed but where they will good on TV.

Fifa is a big skelm. The other morning on the radio the smart people want to take Fifa to court because they' date=' Fifa, insist that all the small businesses around the stadiums must be closed and their signs removed. Their argument is that "it will look bad on TV if non-WC member get free advertising". They also mentioned that Fifa told the organising committee where to build stadiums. Not where they are needed but where they will good on TV.[/quote']

Agree, i just bought a 40" HD TV and i want the best view available

There is no ways that if passed it will be enforceable.

Imagine the scene....

A lookout at the pub spots a cop van pulling up

Bar Owner quickly changes channels

45 inebriated Saffers all with football jerseys on tone down their screams and shouts, whilst watching.....

The fashion channel

Yeah riaaaaaat !

Fifa is a big skelm. The other morning on the radio the smart people want to take Fifa to court because they' date=' Fifa, insist that all the small businesses around the stadiums must be closed and their signs removed. Their argument is that "it will look bad on TV if non-WC member get free advertising". They also mentioned that Fifa told the organising committee where to build stadiums. Not where they are needed but where they will good on TV.[/quote']

yep..and engineering firm we do work with has to close down for the duration of the world cup (whenever there are matches on) because of their proximity to the stadium. Helluva disrupting for the business. The reason for that however is due to security...apparently

We should all get together a build a big air balloon with "thehubsa.co.za" branding and plan a synchronised launch across the country smiley36.gif smiley36.gif

You will only be allowed to use cash and VISA at any stadium or WC venue. If you have another CC and you dont want to use cash you can buy a prepaid VISA CC.

As with most things these days, it's all about the money, the advertising revenue. "Good will", "Development" and "Soccer" are all convenient marketing tools. I was so excited about this WC but I now see how FIFA are exploiting our country - I have no time for them anymore. Just sad that I've already bought tickets...

They had an advertising guru on the radio a while back and he mentioned that companies that are forced to remove their ads can claim compensation. scotty2010-02-18 06:09:20