Look what I got!

Johan Bornman

The holy grail of bike building - super long, thin cable ties.

These have eluded me for years. I have been scouring hardware shops and electrical suppliers for years and years looking for 2.5mm cable ties longer than the standard 100mm. In my search I've found ties in different colours, but not long ones.

Today I finally received my stock of imported, surgical-grade, organic virgin nylon cable ties in a deep, saturated black. Ha!

They're an impressive 205mm long! Enough to go around a suspension fork, large downtube and anywhere on a bike. No more ugly joining of multiple shorties. No more ugly, superflous join heads to cut and irritate you. Just pure, continuous tie.

20100218_140920_cable_ties.JPG

Drool friends. These are mine. Don't ask what I paid for them. It is worth it.

Excuse my ignorance JB' date=' but what would you use these for on a bike?[/quote']

Aaag no man. How could you never have had the need for one? It is to tie things, like computer wires to suspension forks and....and...and lots of other things that escape me now. I'm sure they'll come in very handy and other people will be jealous when they spot the elegance of single ties.

Excuse my ignorance JB' date=' but what would you use these for on a bike?[/quote']

A Polar Wireless Cadence meter on the downtube of a tandem comes to mind. Found a clear plastic tube in an assortment of colours including black in Shoprite in Lagos of all places a while ago. They do not know them as cable ties of zip ties here but as plastic attachment wires. They were the thin ones (2,5 mm????) used on Polar attachments and the long ones were 300mm long.

I stopped looking for those double headed cable ties that you could make a small loop for your brake cable........seen any around?

http://images.monoprice.com/productmediumimages/58051.jpg

I stopped looking for those double headed cable ties that you could make a small loop for your brake cable........seen any around?

I know exactly what you're talking about. Most people make a gippo (ghetto?) one with a piece of stiff tubing and an extra-long cable tie. Anyone want to buy some long ones?
Johan Bornman2010-02-18 14:35:36

Best use for these I've seen was to whip up an emergency field dressing using the injured cyclist's sock, spare tube, and a zip tie to hold it all together. LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Best use for these I've seen was to whip up an emergency field dressing using the injured cyclist's sock' date=' spare tube, and a zip tie to hold it all together. LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL [/quote']

Considering the price I paid for these babies, he may have to bleed to death. I'm not wasting them on a wound.

?

Aaag no man. How could you never have had the need for one? It is to tie things, like computer wires to suspension forks and....and...and lots of other things that escape me now. I'm sure they'll come in very handy and other people will be jealous when they spot the elegance of single ties.

?

?

To be honest, I have never needed one of these, the stock standard cable tie from Builders has always worked for me.

Make a figure eight with your cable tie. One around the frame, shock or whatever and the other around the brake, hose whatever. You have to figure out the routing and maybe waste a cable tie or two to get the front of the cable tie where the zipper is correct, but it workx. Looks neat and does the job.