How to climb - Majik Forest

CJVDM

I need to know how to climb a hill (MTB) as it seems there is some technical skill i do not possess.  (it could be due to my power to weight ratio, but lets not go there Ouch).

The top loop of Majik forest can be attained by either going straight up via (I think they call it) Everest or the back loop which has 1 fairly short steep hill and then one has to acent alongside the electric fence (narrow single track with fence on the 1 side and bushes on the other).

Honestly i can not get up either way without having to push my bike and the electric fence is like a magnet (almost crashed into it twice today) and ive no idea of the voltage it puts out.

So, any Majik experts out there that can advise or just general advise how to attack a hill.  Everest is super rocky and super steep.

At the end of the day i want to get up either way without having to push my bike.

hehe easy peasy - get strong :)

seriously tho, fitness is part of the deal. The otherpart is technique. pedal smooth circles so the back wheel keeps traction. Keep your weight forward over the front wheel otherwise the wheel lifts and you exit stage left. With that fence a little bit of speed helps you keep your line...that needs some fitness I'm afraid!

CJ

About 8 or 9 years ago it was still possible to cycle up the straight route to the top without losing traction and grounding your feet, but the surface has since deteriorated to such an extent that I haven't been able to pedal up there for many a year. Not that I haven't tried. At some stage it was so smooth that I could get up on a set of slicks, but those days are gone.

I also struggle  (read : push) up the short steep incline on the other route. The section next to the electrified fence is doable, provided you select a smooth line and keep momentum, but every now and then you will touch the fence, just hope that the owner (I know him as "Kubaan" from 'varsity days) has neglected to switch on the current.

But the challenge is not to get to the top, it is to keep on trying to get there...

Where is Majik Forest?

A very nice piece of offroad in Durbanville (Western Cape).  Theyve built some good single track and easy to access.

I also admit defeat on the short steep part but I find the trick to the electric fence section is to ride it in my 3rd gear - takes a bit of power but at least you get enough momentum to get over the rocks and past the tree trunk.

As for the electric fence - I got a shock of note a few months back and wouldn't advise you test to see if it's on smiley18.gif

About 8 or 9 years ago it was still possible to cycle up the straight route to the top without losing traction and grounding your feet' date=' but the surface has since deteriorated to such an extent that I haven't been able to pedal up there for many a year.

[/quote']

Yes, i did notice that even since Nov 09 (when i did Majik for the 1st time) the track seemed to have a lot of traffic with lots of holes appearing, especially the part through the forest itself.... My bike really takes a beating coming down but i enjoy it too much to even contemplate slowing down.

CJVDM2010-02-18 15:04:44

I also admit defeat on the short steep part but I find the trick to the electric fence section is to ride it in my 3rd gear - takes a bit of power but at least you get enough momentum to get over the rocks and past the tree trunk.

Yes' date=' i noticed today that i can only restart on the 3rd gear and heavier.  The 1st 2 gears spin to fast to get my foot on the pedal + that tree trunk is my nemesis.

As for the electric fence - I got a shock of note a few months back and wouldn't advise you test to see if it's on smiley18.gif

Dead yeah, and it seems like the fence is magnified!!! And with my limited techinical skills, theres not much room for restarting before i get zapped!

CJVDM2010-02-18 15:11:16

Nice topic.

Although I have never been to Majik Forest so I don't know the specific hill you are talking about, I can offer some general advice for climbing short, steep hills.

Your biggest challenge on a steep hill is usually keeping your traction, and apart from the advice already given about keeping your weight distributed properly, etc, the next best thing you can do is try to keep your momentum up.

Many riders see a steep hill and immediately drop into granny gear to try and crawl their way up - this usually results in complete loss of traction or losing your line and straying off the path into the bushes while you try and keep your balance.

Rather try and attack the hill in a bigger gear with as much speed as you can. You will need to use more leg strength so you can push the heavier gear.

A bonus of this approach is that even if you don't get all the way up, the extra momentum will probably have carried you further up the hill with less effort (so you won't have to walk as far).

Brad

Your advice is sound, but the problem (challenge) with this path is that the surface is covered with loose, round, fist sized rocks, you cannot power you way up in a big gear, your only option in my view is to spin in granny in order get over each rock with the minimum of friction or pressure on it. As soon as your back wheel starts spinning, it's goodnight baby.

Can someone post a pic of this hill - partly because I would like to try and figure out how I would tackle it, but also cos I would like to see what this Majik Forest looks like.

From the various discussions on the Hub, it sounds like a great place to ride.

I have been getting involved in building some new trails here in PE and its nice to have a benchmark to compare with (steal ideas).

I have found that the best way to tackle "everest" is to try and keep to the right (this is just after the left turn that takes you along the contour towards the "electric fence way") of the trail leading up (you should see there are less loose stones there), and after about 80m or so you should try and swing across to the left, and then try and keep right and negotiate the bigger rocks at the top... that has worked for me a few times... but it does become a bit easier as you gain strength and fitness...

I have found that the best way to tackle "everest" is to try and keep to the right (this is just after the left turn that takes you along the contour towards the "electric fence way") of the trail leading up (you should see there are less loose stones there)' date=' and after about 80m or so you should try and swing across to the left, and then try and keep right and negotiate the bigger rocks at the top... that has worked for me a few times... but it does become a bit easier as you gain strength and fitness...[/quote']

As a matter of curiosity, in what gear do you tackle the vineyard climb?  I try half way up on middle chain ring and 3 gear back, then switch to small chainring front and 3rd gear back on the latter half.  I suppose you must be turning a much heavier gear to be able to get up Everest?

I always ensure that I am in my small chainring as everest begins to get steep - prevents me from loosing momentum when changing from the middle to the small blade, as it gets steeper i just change up a few gears and spin it out to the top... momentum is key, once you loose that, its a horrible and frustrating walk :)

With technical hills you sometimes have to be in the smallest gears.

So as mentioned, keep your weight to the front so that your front wheel stays on the ground.

To keep traction: With every pedal stroke, pull on your handlebars. This will pivot your rear wheel into the ground and you will keep traction.

Pointers: Try to keep momentum as much as possible and look ahead so that you can choose the best line.

With this technique, I have been able to climb a lot of hills that others couldn't.