New carbon DA cranks...

AndreZA

This is from cyclingnews.com  http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2007/features/tour_de_suissetech

The drive side does not look too bad but the non-drive side looks terrible. But then again, it is a prototype. I would have liked it more if they did not use the cosmetic weave but instead had the bare carbon like Campag.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2007/tech/features/tour_de_suissetech/IMG_0936.jpg

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2007/tech/features/tour_de_suissetech/IMG_3924.jpg

They should loose the ultegra look a like big chainring. Its not pretty. But I think its still a long way from production and we might see quite a few changes.

Ugly Thumbs%20Down

They took away the only nice feature of Dura ace, a good looking crankset.

Looks like an about face for Shimano, up to now they have said that carbon cranks had worse stiffness to weight ratios compared to aluminium. Obviously they just need to be designed better!

Christie, I think 95% of people didn't like the current crankset when it initially came out.

I kinda grew on most people with the exception of that dodgy scampy lotBig%20smile

I think the current crankset is one of the most beautiful bike components. Why they had to jump on the bandwagon and make, what I think will be a mediocre carbon crankset only they will know.

Is it only the cranks that are going to change?

I dont think so. They will be making carbon XTR der's. So I think the road will go the same way.

Before the last Dura Ace (7800) gruppo, Shimano road parts always had a very industrial sort of look, very little style. They were good, but not pretty. The 7800 crank was their first truly beautiful component. Jumping on the carbon bandwagon is necesary for them because that is what the market wants, I hope they refine the look.

I also like the look of the new XTR, very stylish.

My prediction for the new DA groupset is:

Crankset - full carbon based on this prototype but I think the production version will have a smother profile and more stylish (I hope).

Rear derailleur - XTR type full carbon cage with stiffer spring and more direct cable routing (SRAMish)

Calipers - I recon more cut away than present (Campyish) or more along the lines of the Zero Gravity ones

Levers - always more room for improvement

Front Derailleur - some refinements but no useless cosmetic carbon bits please!

Chain - hollow pin with a tool-less master link (SRAMish)
ShortLegs2007-06-26 04:14:09

Function has its own beauty.  MAybe if they reduce the amount of Carbon (that which is unnecesary) it may look better.  (No wait, then it would look just like a campy record)Cool

Campy Rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Clap

And thats a fact.

BTW That is my opinion and everyone else may have theirs.

And thats a fact.

Censored troll

And thats a fact.

Censored troll

Opinion has been red,noted and binned.Have a nice day.NEXT!!!!!