Specialized Shiv TT bike BANNED

Christie

Saw on cyclingnews.com

Shiv TT bike has been banned. I am not very surprised, since the UCI started banning aero bars last year.

I never understood how they could ban bars that is under 3:1, but allow those canoe cones in front of the head tubes.

I suspect that the Giant Trinity will also be on the wrong side of the rules now.

Conto, the Schlecks, and Cancellara affected. Anyone want to thow out a wild conspiracy theory that LA/Bruneel was behind this? Wink

Of course LA/Bruyneel is behind it! I read an article in Cycle Sport last year about the 3:1 and almost everyone fell foul except, surprise surprise, Trek and Bontrager!!! Will try find it and get more details on it.

isn't the transition much heavier than the shiv? customer brought one into the shop on saturday, and it tipped the scales at 9.8. holy roller2010-02-21 23:24:02

Conto' date=' the Schlecks, and Cancellara affected. Anyone want to thow out a wild conspiracy theory that LA/Bruneel was behind this? Wink
[/quote']

well, rosseler did come within three seconds of contador in the tt?mmmmmm?

Hey if Trek and Bontrager can get it right then why can't Specialized?

Don't get me wrong I'm a huge Specialized fan but if they push the boundries then this kind of thing can happen...If you look at the Trek Speed concept with the intergrated brake calipers in the fork , the UCI hasn't made a ruling about those either...

Hey if Trek and Bontrager can get it right then why can't Specialized?

Don't get me wrong I'm a huge Specialized fan but if they push the boundries then this kind of thing can happen...If you look at the Trek Speed concept with the intergrated brake calipers in the fork ' date=' the UCI hasn't made a ruling about those either...
[/quote']

Why push the boundries?!  You are kidding right?  You think that any of you weight weenies/gadget freaks don't wnat to get the latest, greates, fatsest, stuff?  You think Lance will be happy with anything that isn't 'the sht that kills'?  Come on.

Specialized claims that they have been working with the UCI for months to be within the rules and suddenly heard that their bike is not within spec.  If that is true then the UCI is really to blame.  They shold have banned it when it appeared last year already, not afer the bike has already been made production ready.  Imagine the wasted cost in getting it production ready!

Why push the Boundries? Well then lets go back to riding steel frames with down tube shifters...Lance (love him or hate him) didn't win 7 tours by not pushing the boundries.

Specialized CLAIMS they worked with the UCI, maybe the prototypes that the UCI saw were within the rules but the production bikes have a mm mor carbon on it somewhere and that pushed outside the limits.

Why push the Boundries? Well then lets go back to riding steel frames with down tube shifters...Lance (love him or hate him) didn't win 7 tours by not pushing the boundries.

That is one of the most ignorant statements I have read on the Hub in a long, long time and that takes some doing!

Lance not fanatical about his equipment and having the best/lightest/fastest equipment?  His nitpicking is legendary!  DOn't you know about the narrow TT bike or the wheels at last year's Annecy TT?  Just ask Alberto, he can tell you stories about Lance and wheels...

Guess I misunderstood your statement, what I meant was if a bike is banned then it must be outside the boundries that have been set out, and if we live in fear of a bike getting banned then lets not push boundries, Think about it the Shiv now has more plublicity than the Trek...

I know Lance is pedantic, so is Malcom Lange and thats why they win races...

What I don't understand as well is the new Cervelo a sub 700g frame? why? you'll have to build it with Tiagra to get it to the weight limit, yes it is great that they can make a frame that light but why build the worlds lightest bike only to add weight to make it legal to race?

They pushed the limits with the Shiv because they were trying to design the fastest TT frame possible. Giant had already done the Trinity with a nose cone, and it was raced in UCI races, so the concept wasn't new.

They also needede to make a plan for Saxo Bank, supposedly because the Transition's aerodynamics were not so great.

Interesting that Trek, Cervelo and Scott opted for a standard head tube design.

The light Cervelo is easy: bragging rights / marketing (like Pinarello claiming that the Dogma is the ultimate frame etc). Secondly, I think most of their sales are to riders who don't have to worry about the uci limit.    

if we never pushed boundries we would never have put a man on the moon or spilt the atom, or tested just how many beers a man, or woman, can actually drink before they fall over.

No one landed on the moon, it was filmed in a studio, its a conspiracy!

Look I'm not saying progress is bad, not at all in fact I'm all for it, thinking up something new. not to brag and I cannot prove it but I thought long ago of intergrating the brake caliper into the fork, when I was still in school 15yrs ago...as trek has now done...

What these should be working on is a light 20 speed internal geared rear hub so that belt drive can come to life.