UST tyres on stans rims ?

Weight Weenie

Hi all

Im getting podium mmx wheels for racing so I will use light tyres there and then I want to put some heavier ust ones on my current ztr355 rims, how will they fit ?

I had tubeless ready tyres but dammit, they sit way too tight, impossible to get on and off, so how wil the ust ones work with their strong bead, im guessing I will have the same issues ?

I want get the 2.2 race and mountainking combo from cwc

Thanks,

WW. 

The UST tyres will require 1 tyre lever to put on,with the Bontrager tubeless ready tyres you need 2 tyre levers and a buddy. Don't worry it's going to be much easier. felt cg2010-02-20 14:58:07

Dunno about with stans rims, but MK and RK onto DT-Swiss rims with rimstrip was a nightmare - Bontrager revolts were much easier, although not easy. Had to get them chunky green tyre levers 'cos the others just bust. Means you have to carry them in a race if you want the option of fitting a tube in emergency.

Im also getting a new race wheel set built up. ZTR Podium MMX rims + a2z hubs + DT Swiss revolution spokes and DT swiss compitition spokes on the drive side of the rear wheel for extra strength. What Tires are you going to run on them? Im running a rocket ron on the front and dont know what to go for the back wheel. Im worried about pinch flats so thinking of going for the race king tubeless for the back.

im getting the notubes podium mmx wheels.  Will spec them as follows : yellow tape and valves, xtr or other light cassette, ceramic bearings if available, ac 6bolt hubs, Formula light weight rotors, Dt spokes (comp? getting the lightest) then some replacement decals in blue from tyrone if I can get as well as blue alu nipples. 

Tyre wise im looking at getting the geax barro race foldable tyres, 2.0 at 380g.  I see no reason for putting heavy tyres on such a light wheelset, thus Iwould not use ust here, will put those on my training wheelset. 

carbon why not a racing ralph evo ? are you running tubes that you are worried about pinch flats ? Stans is the way to go, low pressure and no pinching, but I do weigh only around 64kg

The Conti's will work fine,you might just need a little help with a tire lever but i prefer a tight fit,tires seal better.I also had a set of Barro race on my race wheels for the weight but i never even got to ride them.I put them on because i also wanted to build a light set of wheels with good tread but the tires kept blowing off the rim,before i could even ride them.I would blow them up enough for the tires to seal and then within 30min they would just blow off the rim.I think the Barros are too light and the sidewall is too weak.I wouldn't go under 400g tires.Ok for a show bike but i wasn't going to take a chance of the front blowing off while i'm riding.

I am going tubless with the stans rim tape and valve but can't you still get pitch flats through the tire like a cut or something. When ever you see pro's having puntures, its mostly because they are riding with light tires. I dont think i want to take the chance. Does stans rims enable you to ride lighter tires? I weigh 65kg

String was this with a compressor ? And what rims were you using ? I guess the bead is not suited to tubeless then...

Carbon not a pinch AFAIK, but yes if its rocky sidewall cuts do happen, but I think you're light enough to get away with normal tyres, but then again if doing things like the epic or attakwas i would go ust but here in pta where I ride mostly I see no reason for such tyres.  Pros also ride very aggresively, look at burry ride and he does tend to flat allot with the light tyres like the renegade at attakwas.  Maybe try a normal tyre with the sidewall type protection, seems a good compromise.

what about cross country? Think a ust or protection tire would be better. Are you doing sabie? What would you suggest for that race as i've never ridin there before. I got two rocket rons. would that do the job? Looks like its gonna be a muddy weekend..

Sho ok I thought on a normal rim there might be issues but Guess the bead is to weak then, thats a pity though, was looking forward to trying those tyres. 

I ride allot at groenkloof which is basically xc with plenty of rocks, never had issues, did pinch a tube when i was not using tubeless yet though.

For sabie, well its usually muddy so a nevegal or mountainking perhaps or a nobby nic.  The RR's will be ok, but not really a mud specific tyre althoug there is some more lenght to the knobs, should clear the mud ok. 

I just got my ZTR Alpine rim and tried to get a Nobby Nic 2.1 UST on .. but at 2bar the tyre just pops off .. any suggestion? 

I run ZTR 355's with Geax Saguaro's (UST) no problem. Lose a bit of pressure every now and then, but sit no problem.

Stans rims work with either UST or non-UST tyres. Only Stans rim-tape required, rim strip not necessary with either. I run a UST on the front and non-UST on the back.