Learning how to ride a bike

Sossage

Where can I find someone to teach me how to ride a bicycle? I used to be able to ride a bike as a kid and would like to start cycling for health reasons.

My boyfriend offered to teach me but this did not go very well. Please someone help, I'd like to start cycling and get fit. It's one of my goals for this year.

i'm sure quite a few hubbers will be able to direct to cycling schools in your region, but something i found out, even when starting out DH: speed is your friend.

Quite getting into the physics, if you are too slow, you will feel a bit unstable. even a seasoned rider becomes abit wobbly if the speed is too slow. but if u speed up, like coast down a slight incline, you will learn 2 things: gain confidence wrt your balance on the bike, and learn to use the brakes.

Speed is your friend. smiley1.gif

I have a road bike. It was quite unsettling how wobbly I felt on it but I will not let that put me off. I will learn how to ride that bike if it's the last thing I do. With some help of course :)

Thanks Dibles. I'll give them a shout, even though I only have a road bike. Smiling for the 1st time since my lesson today :-)

I have a road bike. It was quite unsettling how wobbly I felt on it but I will not let that put me off. I will learn how to ride that bike if it's the last thing I do. With some help of course :)

my experience is that mountain bikes are easier to learn on; they also are more forgiving.

last year, a colleague borrowed a bike from me to do the 94.7 on. the first few rides was very wobbly. she tried the roadie bike, but decided on the mountainbike ... and within a few weeks she was riding in the spruit with confidence and a big smile.

good luck, enjoy the journey !

keep left' date='pass right =)[/quote']

For the time being I'll settle for keeping my bum on the bike LOL

Sossage2010-02-21 13:08:46

Whereabouts in Gauteng are you? A number of clubs have beginner's ride to help people in your position.

If you're *really* shaky on the bike, use the method that I've seen recommended for kids:

1. Remove the pedals.

2. Put the saddle super-low so that you can rest your feet flat on the ground.

3. Scoot yourself along, maybe on a GENTLE downhill and get used to the idea of freewheeling and balancing.

4. When you are comfortable balancing a moving bike, put the pedals back on the bike and get used to pedalling.

5. Raise the saddle back to a sensible height in small increments.

6. Don't give a rat's ass about anybody's opinion while you're learning. Nobody is born knowing how to ride a bike.

([brag mode] Actually that last bit is a small lie, son of bikemonster seemed to know exactly what do when he got his bike for his 5th birthday. [/brag mode])

If you're *really* shaky on the bike' date=' use the method that I've seen recommended for kids:

1. Remove the pedals.

2. Put the saddle super-low so that you can rest your feet flat on the ground.

3. Scoot yourself along, maybe on a GENTLE downhill and get used to the idea of freewheeling and balancing.

4. When you are comfortable balancing a moving bike, put the pedals back on the bike and get used to pedalling.

5. Raise the saddle back to a sensible height in small increments.

6. Don't give a rat's ass about anybody's opinion while you're learning. Nobody is born knowing how to ride a bike.

([brag mode'] Actually that last bit is a small lie, son of bikemonster

seemed to know exactly what do when he got his bike for his 5th

birthday. [/brag mode])

smiley32.gif smiley32.gif smiley32.gif smiley32.gif smiley32.gif smiley32.gif smiley32.gif smiley32.gif smiley32.gif

Is it just an old wife tale then, I have always heard and thought that once you learned to ride a bike, it stays with you for life?

Good luck Sossage, youll get the hang of it quickly!

Hello everyone :-)

Thanks very much for all your kind words and encouragement yesterday. This morning I took to the parking lot in my buliding. After most peaople had left for work of course! I ditched the clip in shoes and was just wearing my running shoes. It was a lot easier to stay balanced without having to worry about clipping and out. 

Now I can go to the beginners clinic and learn about all the lovely things I need to know because I can stay on my bike, get on and off without falling.

I am getting the hang of this and YES I CAN DO IT Clap