Another foray into the world of pain

So, last night I set up the IDT again. This time I'd been reading up and taking some of the advice offered here and decided to ride more by perceived effort and cadence. I also read that it makes sense to do one day of 5 x 60 sec and 5 x 90 sec, and then a different day of 2 x 3 min and 2 x 5 min.

Today was the short sprint day...

20070626_082832_26Jul07EDIT.jpg

So, you can see I only managed 4 sets, the first 2 with 2:30 recoveries and the 2nd 2 with 3 min recoveries. The 3rd set 90 sec sprint I kinda overdid it. Now I know why you all wanna kots when you get off the bike! Dead

the next sprint was taken a bit easier and the last one was back up at the same effort before my warm down.

I must say, I'm finding spinning with my iPod helps a lot, and I put the TV on (mute) for something to look at.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You may be better off focusing on the longer intervals (?20 mins) and some V02 max work - say 6 x 4 mins @ 90-95% with 4 min recoveries..

But well done on getting the session done.

Wow Mich you can take your heartrate quite high. I get to 175bpm on the trainer and I feel like I'm going to faint...yet on the road can take it up a lot more.

Maybe it's just me being lazyEmbarrassed

V02 max work - say 6 x 4 mins @ 90-95% with 4 min recoveries..

Tell me about the recovery, does it have to be so long? Do you advise short recovery periods?

Tell me about the recovery' date=' does it have to be so long? Do you advise short recovery periods?

[/quote']

You're going to need that sort of time to recover sufficiently to ensure the next interval is at the right power level (anaerobic work capacity forms a large part of an interval of this length or less and needs about 3-4 mins to replenish a little)

Thanks Bikemax, you always have such valuable input. OK, I'll go back to the 2 x 20 min sessions rather. Quick question, is that 90-95% of HR? Alternatively, how can I measure for the 4 min intervals you mention? Have time, cadence, speed, resistance, HR...

Oh ja, and perceived effort Smile

Wonder Woman, my max that I've seen is 192. So 185 from a RHR of 57 is 95%?

Tell me about the recovery' date=' does it have to be so long? Do you advise short recovery periods?

[/quote']

You're going to need that sort of time to recover sufficiently to ensure the next interval is at the right power level (anaerobic work capacity forms a large part of an interval of this length or less and needs about 3-4 mins to replenish a little)

OK, point taken, I'm thinking in terms of HR only and achieving the HR. However I can see from what you have posted that the HR might be achievable but not necessarily at the desired power output levels....

Interesting. Damn, maybe I should get one of these Power thingymebobs!

Thanks Bikemax' date=' you always have such valuable input. OK, I'll go back to the 2 x 20 min sessions rather. Quick question, is that 90-95% of HR? Alternatively, how can I measure for the 4 min intervals you mention? Have time, cadence, speed, resistance, HR...[/quote']

Well - I meant 90-95% MHR but due to the lag, you may not get there. Probably the best way to describe these is to go as hard as you can for the duration - meaning that you need to be able to just get to 4 mins and then should recover over the next 4 mins and be ready to go again. Over the course of the set of 6 they will get progressively harder to complete if you are riding at a similar output/speed/resistance and your HR will increase each time - so try and keep an eye o these variable to make sure your power is not dropping off.

OK, I'll see what type of resistance, gear, cadence ratio I can maintain at high perceived effort. Seeing as I did short sprints today, i'll do 2 x 20 on Thurs, and 4 x 4 next Tues.

Then I'm doing 2 hr on Saturday MTB and 4 hr on Sunday MTB.

Thanks Bikemax for all the help, it's a murky world of training info!

Ag man... just ride your IDT flat box till you collapse... then you know you've had a training session... lol... LOL

Oh ja' date=' and perceived effort Smile

Wonder Woman, my max that I've seen is 192. So 185 from a RHR of 57 is 95%?
[/quote']

I only realised now that they were short sprint intervals, which makes sense. My max is also about 193bpm, when fit. At the moment I feel like I'm dying at 178bpm.

Ooops.... cleared

Actually playing party poker @ partypoker.net - lots of fun, you guys must try it... and its FREEE!

Man with no name2007-06-26 09:24:45