MTN Mountain Bike Seeding

KevinT

I have just had a look at my mountainbike seeding on www.mtncycling.co.za and it just does'nt make any sense.

The race index they give does not seem to correlate with the finishing time and winning time + the average race index for the 4 races I've done does'nt add up to the race index shown.

What also pi##es me off is my buddy who has only ridden one really obscure 30km race and is a beginner MTB'er has a better seeding than me.

What gives??

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aaaahhhh! Seeding! Not the first and not the last thread dedicated to it!

Nobody knows "what gives". It has never made any sense to anybody!

73.42 - i'm a total rookie :)

aaaah maybe they just added up the results?

like if there's 2 events, then maybe they've just added the 50 and 60 ... oh no, that would have gven 110 ... confused

Guest Agteros

Name<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Race Index

Agteros smiley36.gif

This consists of

Race

Category

Finishing Time

Winning Time

Position Overall

Discipline

Race Index

Vit-T-Go Day 4 2009 70km

Veteran Men

03:23:07Embarrassed

02:15:04

MTB

At least my second lap was faster than my first on that particular event

Seems like the MTB seeding suffers from the same thing than kiddie teeth... decay over time

Pity that the events that are used for seeding are few a far between, according to the mtncycling.co.za front page, only these for the next few months:

Feb
27MTN Sabie Classic XCM #3 >
Mar 
3Subaru Sani2C-3 day stage race >
Apr
4Route 42 Suikerbos Mountain Bike Classic >
17MTN Clarens XCM # 4 >
May
29Big Induna Mountainbike Classic >
Agteros2010-02-23 12:42:38

Does it really matter ?

it does - it's difficult enough as it is on singletrack - which is why i've been doing less & less of these races. if i now have to start right at the back and having to fight my way through even more crowds, i'll have to rethink why i ride ... or race .... i'll rather spend my time and money on places and rides where the singletrack is uncongested ... ride2rhodes, xc races, if i have to race, or simply riding with friends. i will never win events, but i'm not going to spend money on events if i'm not going to enjoy the ride :(

After all these years and you still get stuck on single track ? Very few races these days start with a single track just for that reason . They normally give you 5+km to sort the field out . But I suppose seeding will help the roadies adapt to mtb better .

Does it really matter ?

on roadie rides, being underseeded ccan be fun - in a deranged sort of way. i very much enjoyed the bunch-chasing on sunday's ride. possibly because this event is just the right size - not too big, like the argus, so that there's no way to pass crowds, and not too small, so that there's no-one to help with the bunch-chasing.

but the wrong seeeding on MTB-events is just painfull ... if you're stuck you're kind of stuck :(

i guess any attempt is better than nothing, though ...

Guest Agteros

Let that lurking roadie out cat-ismiley2.gif, race for a better seeding and soon enough you'll be racing for the sake of racing.

But really, MTB races need a seeding system (and batched starts) for exactly those same reasons you've mentioned.. So that those with abilities start ahead of those who are there to get as much cycling time for their entry fee!

Gonna be a pain to work the seeding up to where it is supposed to be though.

After all these years and you still get stuck on single track ? Very few races these days start with a single track just for that reason . They normally give you 5+km to sort the field out . But I suppose seeding will help the roadies adapt to mtb better .

hahahaha dirty you KNOW i do!

i'm no raodie, 5 km is just enough time to give the roadies chance to get to the singletrack before me :D

so i guess i have 2 options:

- spend more time on the roadie bike, so that i can get to the singletrack first

- spend more time on the mountain bike - but NOT on races

Let that lurking roadie out cat-ismiley2.gif' date=' race for a better seeding and soon enough you'll be racing for the sake of racing.

[/quote']

lol yeah right, agteros - roadie riding is just too hard, i don't think i'll ever really like it.

cat-i2010-02-23 13:02:48

hanlie booyens is a 32.5

yolanda speedy is a 19,75

nicky booyens (who won the swazi thingy a few weeks ago) is a 50

samantha oosthuizen is not there (or i can't spell her name)