Cycle Lanes

theman101

Shouldn't we try to get cycle lanes in our country???

All these accidents is leaving quit a bad mark in the sport of cycling and also possibly scaring away alot of people who wants to try out cycling.

Or maybe they should just try to improve more of the local roads in town to make it safer for both cyclists and motorists!!

i think cycle lanes will help but re-training driver mindsets will also help.  man some drivers are super agro behind the wheel - more than likely also agro in person.  a cyclist is also a human being - but they percieve us as the enemy.

Who was the plumstead driver that hit and ran on the weekend (ou kaapse weg on sat)?

What is their name?

Where do they live?

Where do they work?

i found a remnant of an old cycleland next to malibongwe, it runs all the way from republic till long after the randburg high school .... its the road crossings that's dangerous. cars from behind you that just turn left and cut you off, cars from the fron that just turns right in front of you, cars at traffic circles that just pretend that you're not there.

and if car and bike collides, bike will come last.

there's a lot of education to be done to both cyclists and motorists, that might save more lives than cycle lanes.  until then, i just pretend i'm invisible.

Cycle lanes suck. As Cat-i posted ^^^ every junction becomes a potential accident spot.

Motorists need to be aware that cyclists are squishy things (Hi Squishy!).

Cyclists need to abide by the rules too.

You think Taxi's and motorists are bad..... wait untill you have to share your bicycle lane with Mommy's with prams, Oupas and Oumas walking their stoepkakkertjies, Pick and Pay special bicycles, Skateboards, learner BMX riders etc etc. Mix that with rude cyclists who cannot even behave on a proper road...... disaster..... worse that the Cradle!!!!!!!!

I think pavements here are totally underutilised, and really would make fine cycle lanes. ?Esp. here in Jhb the roads are HELL on earth.?

I think pavements here are totally underutilised' date=' and really would make fine cycle lanes.  Esp. here in Jhb the roads are HELL on earth. 

[/quote']

What do you mean underutilised? They make great dedicated taxi lanes.

Edman2010-02-24 02:00:33

is this a sticker? where can I get one? it would also make a very cool t-shirt

I am doing both stickers and tee's. Will be available in about a months time to purchase on www.sign-up.co.za

I think pavements here are totally underutilised' date=' and really would make fine cycle lanes.  Esp. here in Jhb the roads are HELL on earth.  [/quote']
What do you mean underutilised? They make great dedicated taxi lanes.

I mean the pedestrian pavements. Here in leafy Jhb I have them to myself, and always give way to the occasional pedestrian. Requires a MTB though.

i found a remnant of an old cycleland next to malibongwe' date=' it runs all the way from republic till long after the randburg high school .... its the road crossings that's dangerous. cars from behind you that just turn left and cut you off, cars from the fron that just turns right in front of you, cars at traffic circles that just pretend that you're not there.

and if car and bike collides, bike will come last.

there's a lot of education to be done to both cyclists and motorists, that might save more lives than cycle lanes.  until then, i just pretend i'm invisible.

[/quote']

Very true that. Ouch