nutrition for tired legs

Thinkbeeg

Hi, in Jan I started cycling to work every second day (20km one way). Since last week we upped it to 5 days a week, but boy, on Thursdays I am barely hanging on and on Fridays I am only surviving Dead  I still have enough cardio/willpower/energy by the end of the week, but my legs are gone.

This will hopefully improve over time, but I am considering getting a supplement to help my legs recover. There are a ton of products and I have never used any type of supplement before. Please let me know what I should go for. Maybe a recovery drink like USN Recover Max?

you can try Biogen

L-Glutamine Powder , it works for me after a really hard session, take a spoon dissolved in a glass of water, next day your legs will thank you

but as Schwynn says, maybe too much too soon

you need to follow hard days with easy one's.....

Don't think any supplements will you.

Your legs need to recover and the best thing for recovery is sleep.

You say you upped it to 5 days a week, from how many days previously ?

Is it a tough 20km ?

Do you also cycle on weekends ?

Thanks for the replies so far. To alternate hard days with easy ones might help. We are 3 MTB'ers and just go flat out every day (but by Friday that doesn't mean anything Smile)

You need to recover its to much for you,I started the same way and my legs couldnt keep up ,so from 5 days to 3 days until your legs are stronger and you can take it to 4 days Smile

you can stil ride mon - fri

just take it easy on 3 of the 5 days and then add one hard day to make it 3/5

should be fine

Have a recovery drink or meal as soon as you get off the bike. Reloads the3 muscles and aids in recovery. Must be within half an hour of exercise. I think the ratio is 25% protein 75% carbs. Stretch for 10 minutes at least ofter getting off the bike. If you are spending time on your legs at work try recovery tights for a few hours after the morning ride.

Perhaps you are doing too much but do all you can to assist recovery and you will be doing yourself a big favor. It is not the riding that is the problem it is the insufficient recovery and there are a number of things you can do to assist recovery.

• 2 weeks later...

This is quite an interesting topic for me. I cycle to work most days as well and would like to know how you guys incorporate additional workouts and your commuting e.g. if you're riding to work for 4 or 5 days, when do you do intervals and what do you do to recover from the weekend's racing?

Oh, I've also found in the past that glutamine works quite well for recovery.

The best way for your body to recover is to rest. Supplements will only help to a certain degree but eventually you will suffer burn out. This happens when you push the body to its limit every day. Something to remember is when you train hard or race you are actually tearing muscle tissue, at some point you need to help your body replenish that muscle tissue. As somenone mentioned moderate rides three days a week and two hard will do you more good than harm. But one rest day in between is essential. I would say if you are riding in the week and on both days on the week end, Monday should be your rest day.

Spent many hours of a day in the saddle and burn out aint fun. Can break the best mentally.Big G2010-03-05 06:42:15

Thanks for all the replies. We managed to change 2 things and I feel much better today than the previous 2 Fridays.

1.) We only ride 4 times a week (will up it to 5 times from April)

2.) We ride slower (HR Zone 3.5-4.2)

The best way for your body to recover is to rest. Supplements will only help to a certain degree but eventually you will suffer burn out. This happens when you push the body to its limit every day. Something to remember is when you train hard or race you are actually tearing muscle tissue' date=' at some point you need to help your body replenish that muscle tissue. As somenone mentioned moderate rides three days a week and two hard will do you more good than harm. But one rest day in between is essential. I would say if you are riding in the week and on both days on the week end, Monday should be your rest day.

Spent many hours of a day in the saddle and burn out aint fun. Can break the best mentally.[/quote']

You see " Big G " - thats why I stopped and gave you the allen key set !!!

You take the time to help others !! Thats what makes certain riders " Champions" ! Mooi !!!Clap 

Thanks for the advice Big G!

I suppose as with everything, not going overboard is the key.

I read recently that the hardest day of your training to stick to is your rest day hehe can relate to that cos I'm always thinking i'm 'missing out' on a days training when I don't ride but realise that a day's rest can do way more good than a forced day's riding!