Help me! Carbon vs Alu

FanieFiets

I must choose between a new frame  

13 members have voted

1. 1. I must choose between a new frame

• 2nd Hand orca fixed
    • New Planet X alu

So time has come that I have to buy a new frame again. I do not want to spend a lot seeing that I do not have a lot to spend. Orca is about R 2500-00 more expensive.

Choices are a alu frame:

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.za/images/products/Superlight-Alloy-three-quarter.jpg

Or a Orbea Orca second hand. CATCH is that the rear chain stay had a small crack that was fix by a very very good carbon fixing person. (thats the actual bike).

20100218_145951_fiets_bord_001.jpg

~What say yee. Carbon 2nd hand or Alu new?

Thnx

Which one talks to you?

Why do you need a new frame in the first place?

I'd be inclined to say neither of those.

Disclaimer - I have ridden neither frame, so apply that to what follows...

The Planet X is, I believe, a "generic" frame with Planet X's logo splashed on it. Where's the appeal?

The Orbea was cracked and repaired. If it was my bike, I'd ride it till the roads wore out, but buy it from somebody else, with it already being a "second best"? Hell no!

I have a slightly odd approach to buying stuff...I must be absolutely delighted with my purchase. It took me a long time to work this out, but the sting of spending more than you planned is short lived. But if you buy something that doesn't really get you all hot and frothy, and settle for something that's OK, that will bug you every single time you look at it.

I'd say wait until a bike/frame comes along that really gets you excited and then buy that.

aaaah bikemonster, true words indeed!

Planet X should go fast and that is my first objective. The one i am strugling with ever since I go on a bike.

Problem I have at the moment is that there is serious problems with my current frame and it may take a couple of weeks to sort out if it can be fixed if at all.

I think it is a great idea to buy new and then according to budget as neither of these really gives me a semi. It will be much easier to upgrade in the future.

Is die Planet X carbon nie so R7000 nie? Dit sal my keuse wees- lyk ook cool in die wit.

ja, die carbon is net onder R 7K.  Hierdie is die alu een. Ek het genoeg vurke en seatposts so die raam alleen kos slegs R 2500-00. cheep.

If your current bike is in surgery, can't you get a loan bike until you know what will happen with your bike?

I'm not convinced that a different frame will give you much more speed - whether you're in Z, in A or anywhere else in the alphabet soup.

The fact that you're asking a bunch of strangers what to do tells me you should sit on your credit card until you know exactly what you want to do!

Is die Planet X carbon nie so R7000 nie? Dit sal my keuse wees- lyk ook cool in die wit.

ja' date=' die carbon is net onder R 7K.  Hierdie is die alu een. Ek het genoeg vurke en seatposts so die raam alleen kos slegs R 2500-00. cheep.
[/quote']

Dan sal ek maar met bikemonster moet stem op die een, koop wat jy wil h? en nie noodwendig wat jy kan bekostig nie. Ek het so les al geleer ,wou 'n carbon frame h? maar moes toe wees (fondse) 'n alu koop, 12 maande later koop ek toe die carbon. So ek het eintlik my geld gemors toe ek die alu koop.

DG - only because i do not have a pic of you on this thread. Wink

Something with the bottombracket cup thing.  It is completely loose from the carbon.  Soooooo, one halve of the mechanics wants to machine a bigger hole and the put in a new 'thing'.  The other halve wants to glue the sucker back. 

Me - I do not 'feel' for the bike anymore. And honestly do not trust the glued or thinner machine bb options.  (look out for a very good priced fondriest frame soon Wink) Oh, I paid R 2K for it, so it isnt a train smash.

SO I need a bike asap, i ride nearly everyday and feeling lost without one.  I know it is not ideal to shop like this but if I sit and wait for the 'right' bike I might as well sell my argus entry.

If it's just a "make do" bike, then buy a cheapie 2nd hand bike. You'll always be able to sell it on for what you paid. With a new frame, you will lose money.

The planet-x looks alot nicer than the Orca - sorta "classic" in it's make-up.

Go for the Planet. Plus, if the Orca costs R 2,500 more AND you don't particularly like it, you'll like it even less when you want to change it again.