Force vs Ultegra?

wonduhboy

I'm building up a bike and need to choose between these two.

20100225_022000_ultegra_image_-.jpg

I like ultegra because it's tried and tested, you know it wont let you down...

but:

20100225_022106_147-main.jpg

The sram force 2010 just looks so sweet. and not everyone has it.

So, with the price difference being so small (Force only R500-odd cheaper) which do I go for.

Any opinions?

PS - first person to say anything about campy, gets a size 11 foot up theirOuch   smack Wink

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Get the one with a cute red frog that looks cooler. Seriously, unless you are being paid to ride a bike, they're both way better than you acshily need as opposed to want.

And I should know about unnecessarily cool bike stuff - my gruppo sets a 'record' in that regard!

i would go for the Force, just looks better and like you said not everyone has it, and i remember something about the Force being lighter than ultegra

Do some searches.  This has been discussed to death!!!

Basically, they are both good and it comes down to personal preference.  I have Force because I wanted something different to the Shimano I have on my other bikes.  Both of these do the job.  Just pick one you like!

Get the one with a cute red frog that looks cooler. Seriously, unless you are being paid to ride a bike, they're both way better than you acshily need as opposed to want.

And I should know about unnecessarily cool bike stuff - my gruppo sets a 'record' in that regard!

Now who's showing off?!  Take your crappy campy and bugger off to your espresso barAngry

When Force came out it was aimed to compete against DA. Rival was aimed to compete with Ultegra.

I'm a big fan of Shimano but the thing that I don't get is the way they design their cranks. You have to replace the rings with it's own otherwise it does not look good anymore.

i would go for the Force' date=' just looks better and like you said not everyone has it, and i remember something about the Force being lighter than ultegra [/quote'] 

About 150g if that's important

what is so special about campy???

If you're a petrolhead, this may help...

Campagnolo:

http://homeapproved.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/ferrari_430_scuderia1.jpg

Shimano:

http://www.importjap.com//wp-content/gallery/nissan-gt-r-official-pictures/nissan_gtr_official_side.jpg

I was avoiding being rude...you'll notice I didn't equate Shimano to a Toyota Yaris.

The Ford GT is more English than American.

I guess Force would be equivalent to a Corvette or a Viper. smiley1.gif

(And to think that the OP was worried that this thread would be hijacked by Campag!)

The problem I have with the vette and the Viper is that they are no real supercars, more musclecars.  They look good in a straight line only!  The GT says 'style' to those who know and has performace to match.  A bit like SRAM.

thanks for all the great advice about carsAngry fortunately I am building up a bike...

Anyway, I heard the double-tap system is intuitive, but does it work well.

Also, need to bear in mind what wheels I will put on - obviously if I go with Force, shimano wheels are out - what else would look good on this - easton ea90slx maybe?

Bragging rights it is!

When I kitted my bike out, everybody I was riding with had Shimano (everything from Tiagra to Dura Ace). A good deal came up on Record which made it slightly more expensive than the Ultegra that I had been eyeing.

Having ridden it for a few years, I like the look of it. I love the cables routed along the handlebars (I think SRAM do this and Shimano may have also started doing this) which makes for a very tidy cockpit.

In truth, if you're not being paid to ride your bike, anything above Sora is on your bike because you like it, and can afford it, not because you need it. And I have no beef with that at all.

Like the OP, I also like the fact that over 90% of the bikes in South Africa are kitted with Shimano, and I place a value on being different. But I have nothing disparaging to say about Shimano or SRAM.