Wheels

Andyr249

I currently use the Easton EA90 Aero wheels for both training and racing. There are reasonably lighter and also slightly deep. A good compromise between lightweight and aero I think.

I am thinking about getting either getting the Easton EA90SLX for race wheels and still use the EA90 Aero's as training and so race wheels or use the EA90 Aero's as race wheels and get some cheaper training wheels with possibly a Powertap.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Bikemonster, do I have to spell it out?? LOL

The "any ideas/suggestions" part obviously refers to the paragraph above it. But specially for you I will add this: Should I get new wheels and if so which ones? And why should I get those which are suggested?

If you're going to upgrade wheels, it seems to me you should go for a mahoosive jump upgrade not just one step up the food chain.

Save your money. Buy some cheap-ass, heavy as anything training wheels so that your current wheels feel special again.

There's a thread running on the maintenance costs of PowerTap hubs that makes for scary reading.

Guest Agteros

I'll swop you my heavy training wheels for kieran's American Classics. then your current wheels will feel super special again smiley4.gif

I'll swop you my heavy training wheels for kieran's American Classics. then your current wheels will feel super special again smiley4.gif

Ok. So I take your wheels and give you Kieran's wheels? Works for me! LOL

My current ones are about 1550g. The EA90SLX is 1398g. So either I get a new set of race wheels or cheap ones and get a PT. Or a Quarq or SRM power meter.

My personal feeling is that, if you're prepared to spend the time and effort (by yourself, or with a coach) to get a training program that's structured around using power data and is then adapted according to what the data is telling you, a power meter (PT in my case) is the best value as far Rands per 'performance gain'.

If you're interested in power, consider, at least, buying this book before you make a final decision:

http://www.kalahari.net/books/Training-and-Racing-with-a-Power-Meter/1/34547815.aspx?toolbar=none (there is an earlier edition currently available, but since the new one's out in March...)

Another very good, more general reference is this one:

http://www.kalahari.net/books/The-Cyclists-Training-Bible/632/33013019.aspx

I'd suggest you buy yourself a decent bike first.

Once you have a decent bike you'll see that it wont matter what wheels you have on you'll be super FAST....broom broom

And what bike do you suggest? Let me guess............hmmmmmm. It can't be a Bianchi because a Raleigh is faster than that. Wink

Andy dude, a Raleigh is Dead Dead

Why do want to change your wheels ?

As you said when you ride in a group it will make very little difference so why spend the money ?

If it's because you can, then that's a different story.

You could also upgrade your groupset...

Andy dude' date=' a Raleigh is Dead Dead

Why do want to change your wheels ?

As you said when you ride in a group it will make very little difference so why spend the money ?
If it's because you can, then that's a different story.
You could also upgrade your groupset...

[/quote']

It is for the climbs and when not riding in the group.

I have SRAM Red. There is nothing to upgrade to! Anything else will just be downgrades.