I'm offshore with only a gym and spinning bike

AngryAnt

Hi there guys I'm new to this game but loving it done 5 races 48km to 62km and one of 106km took me 4:03:23 but had to walk last two hills as I had never done hill training been back and done the hills twice same one I had to walk in the race I am riding in U group at the moment but hope to move up soon my question is I work offshore and while I am out here what training should I try doing on a spining bike we have on the boat and also should I do any weight training

I have managed to send in for a late entry for the augus and would love to do a sub 4 hours do you think I'm mad or can it be done if I have only been riding for 3 months and part of that has been on a boat in the middleof the ocean. I can train as much as I like on the spinning bike could you give me a training program that will help me get stronger for the hills till I get home round the 10 th when I can get back on my bike. O yes I'm 37 so keep that in mind.

hey guys so i cant spell and my punctuation is not top class loads of people out there cant spel and are well off thought this was a forum were i can get help not get riped off about my spelling and punctuation thanks for the help. bikemonster

AngryAnt' date=' perhaps you could ask Big H for some spare punctuation.

He usually has more than enough.[/quote']

Enough?????????

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.............................????????????????????

Copy and paste to your hearts content!!!!!!!!!!

And breathe, AngryAnt. It's a forum, unless and until somebody is calling you rude names, it's prolly meant as light hearted banter.

Apt screen name, it seems. Relax; all I meant was that shorter sentences would make it easier to read your posting, that's all.

As to training, anything is better than nothing. If your spinnining bike is one of the electronic ones, like the TechnoGym ones that Virgin Active has, then you can repeat the same workout, and up the "level" as it gets easier.

If you're using a "traditional" spinning bike, with a hand-adjusted resistance then it's up to you to set an interesting/worthwhile pattern to each exercise.

In either case, as you do not have downhills to coast down, you will likely get a better workout than you would for an equivalent length time on a real bike. On the occasions that I use a spinning bike I struggle to stay on there for more than 45 minutes because it gets really, really boring.

Unless you are training a specific weakness, I would say that using a spinning bike for leg speed training is much more important than pushing weights around.

Better?   smiley2.gif

AA, weight training won't help.

Spinning will. Cycling is limited mainy by cardio vascular fitness. If you can set the resistance on your spinning bike then do that to give yourself variety.

You don't need a program yet. Just go as hard as you can for an hour every 3rd day with evry other day being an easy spin. By as "hard as you can for an hour" I mean 15min warm up, one hour at a steady pace which should leave you ready to fall off at the end of the hour, followed by 15min warm down.

You should try to finish at the same pace as you started, that is don't start too hard.

You will be short of the longer rides but this is the best you can do under your circumstances.

Thanks guys... i did an hour today. did a 10min warm up. then 3min hard resistance,,,, then 3min low,,, and so on till the hour was up and a 5min warm down....  is this also fine or should i get into a steady pace at a medium resistance....

3 min intervaals are too short. Ideally you want to build up your "threshold power" or whatver of the many names it goes by. That will give you the best all round improvement. It is defined by the power that you can ouput for 1 hour. The more you train your body at that level the better your all round performance. Later you can look at the short intervals.

The best thing for you to do right now is the 1 hour steady rate. But be warned it is not easy. Your mind will scream at you "to get a life" after 30 minutes. Your legs will be screaming at you after 40 mins if you are doing it right. You could also break it into 20 min sessions but then you need to have some means of measuring your efforts.

Basically suffer for an hour at a pace you can maintain fro 59 minutes.

59min ,,,,,,,,,,,,im almost dead afetr 3min on high, ill try go as long as i can on a medium to high resistance tomorrow, should i only ride once a day or will 2, 1 hour seasions also help one early morning and the next after my shift or try do a full 2 hours at once, and can i train everyday till i get home on my real bike, when should be my last ride before the 14th.

sorry for all the questions like i said been doing this for 3 months only.

AngryAnt' date=' perhaps you could ask Big H for some spare punctuation.

He usually has more than enough.[/quote']

smiley36.gif smiley36.gif smiley36.gif smiley36.gif

59min ' date=',,,,,,,,,,,im almost dead afetr 3min on high,?ill try go as long as i can on a medium to high resistance tomorrow, should i only ride once a day or will 2, 1?hour seasions also help one early morning and the next after my shift or try do a full 2 hours at once, and can i train everyday till i get home on my real bike, when should be my last ride before the 14th.

?

[/quote']

wow! now i nearly passed out from hyperventilating with all those commas in there

59min ' date=',,,,,,,,,,,im almost dead afetr 3min on high, ill try go as long as i can on a medium to high resistance tomorrow, should i only ride once a day or will 2, 1 hour seasions also help one early morning and the next after my shift or try do a full 2 hours at once, and can i train everyday till i get home on my real bike, when should be my last ride before the 14th.

[/quote']AA just ride as hard and steady as you can for an hour every other day. If you can do 2 of these sessions in one day then you are not doing them right.. You should take the alternate days easy to let your body recover.

When you start the session you will be inclined to go too hard and fade long before the end so it will take some time to get the pace right. It will probably be a medium to low resistance if your comment about 3 min is anything to go by.