Attempted mugging/bikejacking Fisantekraal

MildlyWild

Rode past Fisantekraal outside Durbanville just after 9 this morning (alone) - black dude tried to get hold of me, but being on the lookout and able, I managed to sprint past.  2km on a lady was coming from the front so I stopped her and said I'd ride back past there with her.  2 more ladies just behind us.

We passed the spot and i don't see the guy, so I turned back again to continue my ride.  40m on I hear the one lady shout and this same dude came from somewhere, pulled one of the two ladies of her bike and was trying to get away from them.  I sprinted back, another guy in a van stopped and we got hold of the bugger (young guy, and nogal small, but with a knife in his back pocket).  The ladies called the police, who came about 7min later and took him away.

In the meantime this oke's brother was trying to get us to let the culprit go, but luckily the other locals also insisted we get the police.

Ended well this time, but be aware where and when you ride - and yes, if at all possible ride in groups of 3 or more with at least one guy.

At 1.89m I am not exactly small and this oke still tried to get me

Excellent.Well done.what would have happened if you did not warned the others.One success story.Keep it up.God bless you.

I am getting so absolutely sick of hearing about these incidents.  Where can we ride where its safe???  From now on, i'm not going anywhere without my pepper spray.  BTW, well done MW for possibly saving a life!

super props for thinking of the ladies on their way. i reckon ?they at least owe you a hug .. you know smiley2.gif

but i'm super stoked for the locals, insisting the perp be held accountable. I reckon this was just the thing they were hoping would happen.

Well done for helping and caring for the other riders. I/we ride past there at least three times a week and this is not good news. Also happy the locals wanted justice ... this is the best form of stopping this sort of thing. take care guys and gals

CYCLED past there just before 9 with 5 other MEN, never had any problems. Sad news, I ride there evey weekend for the last 10 years and in the week at 5AM on Wellington road then Spesbona no B Dudes on Spesbona.

well done!! you deserve a medal !

I would have beaten the crap out of him six-love for fifteen minutes and THEN called the cops.

He'll be back there tomorrow. I'd have made sure he could not have been back there outside of a wheel chair for at least a year.

my 2 cents...

Did you get the names of the police men that took him away and tell them you are going to follow up whether the guy gets charged?

Okes are so lazy they usually just let them go, because they don't feel like filling in all the paperwork.  If they know you are going to be a nag about it, they usually try a little harder.

Something similar happened to me once - guy threw a rod into my spoke on Orange street in town, but as I was going down I managed to grab his dreads.  Sure hurt him a little before a armed response car stopped and took the guy off my hands.

On a chilled training ride one Saturday, some laaities / teenagers threw some stones, rather big, at me and another rider!

Yah, it is great that other people living in the area supported the riders.

Fantastic to hear that at least one didnt get away. My son was mugged once, and in an attempted mugging a while ago, and its sickening that he must be thankful that he got away, with no consequences to the mugger. Two thumbs up for you guys!!!Thumbs%20UpThumbs%20Up

Thank you MildlyWild.

Where exactly did this happen? At the old model airplane field or the other side at the wine farm?

Thank you MildlyWild.

Where exactly did this happen? At the old model airplane field or the other side at the wine farm?

At the turn-off into the Fisantekraal settlement - just after the bridge over the tracks, before going between the gumtrees.

You're a great guy MW; and you made a difference. I'm glad it didn't escalate into a total mess and that nobody got seriously hurt.

A previous post really makes me wonder what will really happen to this guy.