Advice on new road tyres

virgo

I need advice on the best option for new tyres for my roadbike.

Gatorskins, Ultra Gatorskins, Grand Prix 4000S, etc are options.

As a female who mostly train alone, I need to have as little as possible (preferably no trouble) problems with tyres.

I would appreciate advice from people who knows the above tyres - or suggestions (and why) about other tyres.

Thanks in advanceTongue

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you wan them to do? Training and puncture protection or do you rather want them to be ligth and fast for racing? Or a mix?

A bit of everything, I guess. Training, riding/racing Wink , definitely puncture protection! Pretty much an allround tyre by the looks of things.

Conti Gator skins dude! They solid. Ok they not great for racing (high rolling resistance by comparison) but they are great and very durable

I use two sets of wheels:

1.) On set has basic rims with gatorskins and the tubes have sealing slime in them. It is heavy but quite puncture proof. This is a good training/general set-up.

2.) The other set has DuraAce rims with Force/Attack (Continentals) tires that i use for my races (trying to cycle in a race). Those tires have a different size and format between the front and back tyre - a really nice set-up.

I am happy with this compo as it works for me.

Conti Gator skins dude! They solid. Ok they not great for racing (high rolling resistance by comparison) but they are great and very durable

Haha - as I normally train with my mountainbike on our roads (sooo much glass, etc next to the roads) I'm sure the rolling resistance would be much better than my mtb-tyres!

Currently using Maxxis.  How would that compare with Gatorskins?

Ultra Gatorskin is die beste. Ek het al 4000km met myne gery en nie 1 papwiel nie. Het al deur glas gery en die band gesny dat jy die kevlar belt kan sien, maar dit gaan nie deur nie.

Gator Skins are great but as they have a wire bead they can be a mission to take off and put back on the rim when you have a puncture. Without being sexist, make sure your hands and tyre fitting technique are up to the job. I suggest you get your LBS to show you how and make sure you can do it yourself before you buy them.

My wife certainly doesn't have the strength to change them, and as you ride alone it is a point worth considering for your own safety.

Spend a bit of cash and buy yourself some Vittoria Diamante Pro lite tyres from CRC. They last ages and are an awesome racing tyre. You will not be dissapointed in these. Gatorskins are not good for racing at all as they are a very slow tyre.

Gator Skins are great but as they have a wire bead they can be a mission to take off and put back on the rim when you have a puncture. Without being sexist' date=' make sure your hands and tyre fitting technique are up to the job. I suggest you get your LBS to show you how and make sure you can do it yourself before you buy them.

My wife certainly doesn't have the strength to change them, and as you ride alone it is a point worth considering for your own safety.[/quote']

Good point. I've changed my Maxxi's before. Would they be easier to change than the Gators?

Gator Skins are great but as they have a wire bead they can be a mission to take off and put back on the rim when you have a puncture. Without being sexist' date=' make sure your hands and tyre fitting technique are up to the job. I suggest you get your LBS to show you how and make sure you can do it yourself before you buy them.

My wife certainly doesn't have the strength to change them, and as you ride alone it is a point worth considering for your own safety.[/quote']Good point. I've changed my Maxxi's before. Would they be easier to change than the Gators?

Unfortunately I've never tried the Maxxi's so can't comment. I do know that the Vittoria Rubino which the wife and I use are easy to change and tough as nails. 2 punctures in 2500km on mine so far. The are not expensive either. They come standard on the Merida Scultura range. Look here.....

http://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/vittoria-open-rubino-pro-folable-tyre

I would also suggest gators, i have also used maxis but found the gators easier to fit and remove, i never use tyre levers to fit as i have strong hands but you do get tyre levers which clip onto the quick release and extend to the rim which you can remove and fit the tyre.

Good point. I've changed my Maxxi's before. Would they be easier to change than the Gators?

It depends on your rims. I once snapped a tyre lever trying to get Gatorskins onto a Campag Scirroco rim. I don't even need a tyre lever to get the exact same tyre onto some Mavic Open Pros.

It depends on your rims. I once snapped a tyre lever trying to get Gatorskins onto a Campag Scirroco rim. I don't even need a tyre lever to get the exact same tyre onto some Mavic Open Pros.

I've got Shimano rims - can't be more specific at the moment as I took the bike for a service this morning and don't know the exact 'model' - and I confirmed the Maxxi tyres are foldable, so they definitely would be easier. I had no difficulty with the fitting when I needed to change.  The gators would definitely be different/more difficult. 

Just take your wheel in and ask them if you can try fitting a Gatorskin.

You also get foldable Gatorskins but they're more expensive and I

haven't seen them in shops very often.

Spend a bit of cash and buy yourself some Vittoria Diamante Pro lite tyres from CRC. They last ages and are an awesome racing tyre. You will not be dissapointed in these. Gatorskins are not good for racing at all as they are a very slow tyre.

I got Vittoria's, and have been very happy, Ive had them for 14months and have never had a puncture on my roadbike, and I train and race with them. Ok I dont weigh a tonne but still. does all their tires have the dual compound feature?