Stans in road tube?

davidtinker

Hi Guys

I use stans in my tubbies on my race wheels and that works very well. Does stans work in a normal road tube? I seem to remember hearing somewhere that it doesn't work properly.

Cheers

David

If it works in your tubbies it should work in a normal tube: a tubby is, after all, just a tube with the tyre sewn around it.

The only problem may be getting it into the tube: tubbies usually have removable valve cores while most normal tubes don't.

Edman2010-03-01 01:23:14

If it works in your tubbies it should work in a normal tube: a tubby is' date=' after all, just a tube with the tyre sewn around it. The only problem may be getting it into the tube: tubbies usually have removable valve cores while most normal tubes don't.

[/quote']

On Saturday I bought some Bontrager Superlight tubes and they have removable cores. Was very surprised when I saw this. All the way up to XXX-lite have it.

Hi Guys

I use stans in my tubbies on my race wheels and that works very well. Does stans work in a normal road tube? I seem to remember hearing somewhere that it doesn't work properly.

Cheers

David

When you say it works well, have you actually had punctures that have sealed without loosing too much pressure?

I have finished one race with a half flat tubbie. It worked well enough so I didn't know until after the end. I am assuming that stans sealed a flat because it didn't go down any more and was fine after I pumped it up properly.

I see Joe's has a road tyre specific sealant.

I was wondering if this has bigger particles or something, 'cos wouldnt the higher pressure squirt the sealant out too quickly to seal?

interesting point splat !

Mampara, are those mtb tubes ? would like some xxx light ones to put stans in for a spare

Stans is great for tubeless, but in road tubes rather use Sludge for Road bikes. It is light and very effective for the smaller puncture normally encountered with road use. Also comes with an aplicator for presta valves, so no need to remove the valves.

Schwalbe make a product called Doc Blue that is supposedly best for road tires, in particular tubbies.

I have a bottle sitting in my garage that I can't bring myself to put into my tubbies - I spent a fortune on the wheels for the ride and weight saving, and just can't justify adding 200g to the bike smiley9.gif

Gee 200g is a lot of fluid. I only put 40-50ml (g probably) of Stans in each tubbie.

After reading this thread I think I will look around for a "high pressure" sealant next time I get a new tubbie instead of just using Stans.

I use Stan's in road tubeless.  It seems to seal at around 3 to 4 bar.

If you use the official road tubeless tires, you can certainly ride like that, because the sidewall's stiff.  However, it's "get me home" rather than "magic juice"

Barend, you are the first person I have come across that's using the road tubeless system. What tires and wheels are you using, and are you happy with the setup?

I have a pair of Campy 2-way fit wheels but haven't ventured into the world of road tubeless yet.