Noisy V-Brakes

Acidfreak

Hi Guys, since I had my bike at my LBS my brakes are really noisy, they installed new brake calipers and brake pads. What can I do to correct this? Is the calipers a bit loose or something that can maybe cause them to increase noise on braking?

Another thing that bothers me is that when using my front brake, it feels like my shock moves forward and backwards as if it is loose when braking, what can cause this to happen?

V-brakes need to be set with what is known as "toe-in"

This means that when pulling brakes the front end of the brake pad should make contact with the rim slightly before the rear. This will prevent the vibration which results in noisy brakes.

I also find that some pads are better than others, OK I'm only on my 4th set after a year but I did find the OEM ones to be ***, the Shimano XT/XTR where really good but I just installed X-ZAKT tripple compound tonight and there are equally as grippy and quiet as the triple compound BBBs I had last year.

Also adjust your shock as well - stiffen it up a bit as its obvious the LBS set with too much play.

To set the pads with a bit of toe in, loosen the bolt holding the pads on the caliper and position them in the desired position with a piece of paper about the thickness of a business card between the rim and pad at the rear end of the pad.  Apply pressure on the brake to hold the pads in position and re -tighten the bolts.  Just make sure that the pads sit squarely on the rim and at least 1mm clear of the tire.

Mine are noisy when some sunlight liquid gets on the rim/pads from either washing the bike of when I do a Stans Conversion, but it goes ago after a few rides. 

I've learned not to give silly advice. Some people actually take it serious.

Sure, but only once! smiley2.gif

...Another thing that bothers me is that when using my front brake' date=' it feels like my shock moves forward and backwards as if it is loose when braking, what can cause this to happen?[/quote']

Woah. What exactly do you mean with this little gem of a statement?

Your shock - moving backwards and forwards - is this as in, the front wheel appears to be moving backwards, towards your frame, under braking?

If so - stop riding! Go get that checked out - you might have a loose head-set, and you really don't want to take chances with something like that...

Guest Big H

What type of V-Brakes do you use? Some V-brakes are just inherently more noisy than other.