JHB South-detour SBR-JHB South

Tachymeter

So I haven't tried the SBR route yet but it sounds like a mountain that I need to get chipping at to break my 3 hour 94.7.

Is it possible to do the Long lido loop and then incorporate SBR into it and then still make it back home in four hours?

Let me know....... Slave I'm sure you will love this when you can get back into the saddle.

Will the ditance be then 140KM? for the ride

So I haven't tried the SBR route yet but it sounds like a mountain that I need to get chipping at to break my 3 hour 94.7.

Is it possible to do the Long lido loop and then incorporate SBR into it and then still make it back home in four hours?

Let me know....... Slave I'm sure you will love this when you can get back into the saddle.

Will the ditance be then 140KM? for the ride

possible, but not in 4 hours

full loop through SBR takes about 2:00 - 2:20 for stronger riders...

If I go in at karee kloof side will I be able to access the sbr route or will it be easier to start at the protea hotel side? or are they one and the same entrance

Two different entrances, entering at the karee kloof side will give you about 48Km's in Suikerbos, you can do this with a Boscoe loop but I hope you are in good shape.

no its not the same entrance

most riders enter and start at the Protea Hotel side, there is a parking area , toilets etc.

you can start either side though

If you only want to ride in and out again on other side, you will cut about a third of the route off 57/8 km's.

Do you suggest doing the SBR on it's own first and then if the legs hold up try to do the lido long and the whole SBR route and cycle home from there.

Basically what you are trying to do is the Race for Victory - check the times for that and it will give you a good indication of what you are up against.....only problem is that the race for victory has only about 20km's of the reserve incorporated into it and is in the Karee Kloof side and out the N3 side.

As stated above if you want to go in at Karee Kloof and out Karee Kloof you will do about 48km's of the reserve.

Tachy how good a rider are you? If you are doing more than 3 hours in the 94.7 I would suggest just starting with driving to SBR first and doing the ride.

Do you suggest doing the SBR on it's own first and then if the legs hold up try to do the lido long and the whole SBR route and cycle home from there.

I would suggest, rather go and do the SBR on its own first, you will have a very good idea of how your body react to the reserve. then as a next ride attempt your idea. To do the long loop is about 60 km's, add to that the reserve and the odd km's there and back off the lido loop and youll get more than the 140 you plan. maybe do it in your car first (the route you plan) and then take a decision.

the reserve is a tester at the best of times

no its not the same entrance

most riders enter and start at the Protea Hotel side' date=' there is a parking area , toilets etc.

you can start either side though
[/quote']

What's always confused me is that there's also a holiday resort at the Kareekloof entrance (and I'd never noticed the Protea hotel at the other one).

Just to confirm:

North = Protea Hotel side (passed on Carnival City race)

Southwest = Kareekloof side (passed on R4S, entered R4V)

Is this right?

Yes Edman you are correct. Protea Hotel entrance side is also called the N3 entrance.MuXmAn2010-03-01 08:50:12

That is a h3ll of a ride you planning!

Do the full SBR loop a few times first before incorporating it into other routes.

That is a h3ll of a ride you planning!

Do the full SBR loop a few times first before incorporating it into other routes.

This is wise advice Tachy. You'll handle the reserve no problem bud, but I'd take Andy's advice here.

Its not a pleasant outing at the best of times, and I would also suggest doing it with either a riding partner or your missus following. I would strongly advise against doing it all alone...just in case.

GreyOwl3.02010-03-01 13:59:20

Thanks for the advise guy's. I want to start my buildup for a sub 3 hour 94.7 and with saying that I need to brush of 27 min from my previuos results. As well the company I'm working for is entering the double century(sub 7 hours) so I need to fit these two races into my training goals. Who would be able to help me with some sort of advise. GO 3.0 any help?

Should I start with LSR at this stage and do some SBR in between or ................?

I went with the Lido bunch one time and a few guys headed off to SBR (as it turned out) so I tagged along. Went in the back door out the front, they dropped me at some point, so I began the lonely trudge back to the big smoke. I got as far as the service station on the N3 and figured coffee, a newspaper and a lift home outweighed the shame of calling the Mrs.

I reckon at that stage I was around 3hrs for a 'proper' 94.7 route.

Tacky, has Kieran been putting things in your head ??

SBR only has 2.5 climbs but they tough (at least for me).

Go by car do the loop and go for a milkshake afterwards.

Becareful on that downhill need the dam.