Sore Forearms/Elbow???

Trapper

Hi

I've been doing MTBing for more than a year now (after 8yrs on the road).Tongue

The past two months I've been suffering BADLY however from "tennis Elbow" and sore forearms.  First it was only my left arm(weakest arm), but the right arm is now also beginning to muck up.  The result is that I cannot pick up anything (not even cup of coffee) without shedding a silent tearCry

My friend who started doing MTB approx 3 months ago, now has the same problem.Confused

Is this a common occurance with the MTB scene, and what is causing this?  Is the pull-up of the handles to lift the front wheel over obstacles, or the bike setup/brake lever position...

I know only one thing, and it is that this hurts like hell!!

Anyone who can help or make a suggestion to get it better - as long as I don't have to stop MTB'ing - too much fun!!LOLBig%20smile

Quick answer: Gym. You need to strengthen those muscles and ligaments. Disclaimer: I have no idea what I'm talking about Geek

Relax on the bike. You do not need to have white knuckle the whole time you're on a the bike.

Thanks Taps,

I've tried that but they complain about me riding around in the gym on my Mountain Bike. Once did a wheelie, lost balance and careened into a guy trying to bench-press 350Kg - wasn't funny.

Jokin'Wink

Often when the elbows and forearms are sore, it means:

1/ Like mampara says, relax as much as possible on the bike.

2/ Strengthen the shoulders and neck. Often the weaknesses lies in the supportive elements to the elbows and wrists.

smiley9.gif

It is not the bike. It is something else.

I've suffered from this for years and I can assure you there is no cure. The first round of doctors treated it with anti-inflammatories. No effect.

The second round with pain killers. Lekker for 3 hours then it is obviously back.

Then physio.

Then stem cell treatment. They take some blood, spin it in a centrifuge, extract stem cells and inject it directly into the ligament.

It got better but I can't say from that or from the witchdoctor I consulted for that and some love and money problems too.

Now it is back and the next round of doctors with the latest thinking says biokinetics. Apparently they now thing the muscle must be exercised in a special way. Forearms flat on the desk, hands hanging over the edge. Weight in hand which is then picked up by raising the hand. Then, you are supposed to slowly let it go. It is the active release (or whatever they call it) that will heal the hand.

Go to Youtube (the source of all things good) and search for Power Bar and tennis elbow. There is a new twist-bar gadget on the market that makes that exercise so much easier. I also want to get one. Dunno where yet.

Thanks guys, went ridin' tonight focussing on when it hurts.  I'm lekke relaxed on the bike ... most of the time, when I'm not screaming while doing stupid stuff...Wink

I feel the muscles pull when I'm in the attack position and have to pull up - like when jumping a curb while moving too slow to do a full bunny-hop onto the obstacle.Confused

I've read on the i-net on tennis elbow, and Johan, there's a doctor in USA says he can heal the tennis-elbow, with exactly that exercise you talk about.  I'm going to give it a try, use a 1kg weight while in the car driving (or parking on the N1) between Johburg and Pretoria every day.

I just wonder how many guys suffer from this?

Regards

I assume you've had you a professional fitment done for you on your bike. Sure it's not something to do with size/position or something?

Yeah, and like I said, it was working for more than a year before this problem crept up.

Maybe it is linked to the other problem, my age is creeping up on me...has been doing it for more than 47 years...Wink

Yep, sounds like the same problem as mine. Mine is with the left arm, and while I am riding I feel no pain....except for when I pull up to jump the front wheel. Then I get home and park off and the arm starts to hurt when I've cooled off. Its hard to pinpoint exactly where the pain is, but its from the elbow half way down the lower arm. But the weird thing is that after the Sabie this weekend my arm has been fine!? I'm relieved but don't know how long this will last pain free.