Respray

DownhillingKing

I'm wanting to respray my DH bike white using rattle cans. What I'm wanting to know is.

When removing the paint what sand paper does one use? (wouldn't paint remover be easier?)

What must I use for the under coat?

What must I use for the clear coat?

Paint stripper is fine, just make sure to wash the frame  properly after the paint stripper before you start spraying. You get primer in rattle cans as well which should do the trick seeing that you want to go the rattle can route. Use 600grit waterpaper before the primer. 

OK, paint stripper is fine on an alu frame. Just brush on in thick globs and wait 15 minutes. It will blister and flake off.

NOT OK for carbon frames.

If sanding after, go 1200 and finer until nice and smooth. NEVER NEVER sand away the welds.

Rattle cans are so K@K!

There is no UV resistance and the colour will fade fairly quickly especially the clear coat. This will turn yellow eventually. It will also scratch easily.

Expect to spend on about a total of 7-8cans.

So I use paint stripper to remove the paint wash down the frame the 600grit water paper the frame. Then prime was thinking of using the plascon 2k primer, the just white spray paint what should I use for a clear coat.

The paint remover won't eat away at the metal or welds or anything right?

OK' date=' paint stripper is fine on an alu frame. Just brush on in thick globs and wait 15 minutes. It will blister and flake off.

NOT OK for carbon frames.

If sanding after, go 1200 and finer until nice and smooth. NEVER NEVER sand away the welds.

Rattle cans are so K@K!

There is no UV resistance and the colour will fade fairly quickly especially the clear coat. This will turn yellow eventually. It will also scratch easily.

Expect to spend on about a total of 7-8cans.

[/quote']

Totally agree with the K@K bit LOL

you dont have to remove everything, especially if nothing is rusted or there is nothing requiring you to remove everything. Reason being, if you going with rattle cans, soz to say, but i wouldnt expect a near-flawless job.

Use some waterpaper P1000 - P1200 grit. Get that surfaced roughed up a bit. Then apply a primer again, sand down noting any low spots/cuts etc. Prime up, or use a spray on filler primer. sand down again. Rinse and repeat until super smooth, or to your liking.

Then it's color time, 2 - 3 coats. Sand between coats with ultrafine waterpaper: P2000 - P2500. On final coat, no sanding of course, then on with your gloss. 2 - 3 coats pls.

What's that hubber who paints bikes. he probably your best resource for this sorta thing. I'm familiar with spraypainting cars, not bicycles.

you will require a UV resistant gloss overcoat. Automotive stuff. I dont struggle with 'rattlecans', but perhaps you lucky and there is a UV resistant version?

Guest coenie

So what do you suggest I do heartCoppi? Cause I really don't want a yellow bike!

Rather have it done by a pro, it will cost you less in the "LOONNGGG" run and look way better.

Spray painting is not everyone's cup of teeWink

Capricorn has given you a great recipe.

But it will always be a second rate job using cans.

Have it sprayed proper. It may cost a little. But you know what, by the time you've made a huge mess and damaged your health and spent 50% of that on a 50% job, I don't think you'll go that route twice. IMO.

The detail will be so much better and so then is the enjoyment.

So what do you suggest I do heartCoppi? Cause I really don't want a yellow bike!

Rather have it done by a pro' date=' it will cost you less in the "LOONNGGG" run and look way better.

Spray painting is not everyone's cup of teeWink

[/quote']

+1