STASH YOUR TRASH!!!

Little1

TRASH! MAKES ME MAD!!!

But perhaps some background first?

I had the pleasure of riding one of the best local races on Sunday in KZN. What a fantastic day, perfect weather, good turn out and as always a great ride. I decided to take it easy having not been on my bike properly for 6 weeks or so. I was really enjoying just being on my bike and riding. But then it happened, the MOST DISGUSTING thing... a cyclist in front of me threw their empty gel packet into the grass on the side of the road Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

"Oi!!" i shouted "put it in your pocket!"

"oh please" was the response, "mumble mumble"

"Pardon" i said as i rode up alongside... to realise this was on of the organisers of the race!!!!!

"You have pockets to put your trash in"

"Please, i'm creating employment"

"No you are not you are merely creating litter!" At this point i am fuming and doing everything in me to not swear at this stupid.... Censored

"Who do you think you're talking to little miss?"

"A DISGUSTING PERSON who uses the world as their personal trash can!"

AngryAngryAngryAngry

By now I am so angry with her disregard for :

a) the environment which is limited

b) the community who live in the area and the fact that she feels she can just throw trash wherever

c) the fact that as an organiser she SHOULD KNOW BETTER!!!

So I decided that today I would get FURIOUS with the issue not the person (clearly she is not worth it!)

HUBBERS please, your kit gets gross, from sweat and dirt form the road / track etc a bit of gel is not going to make any difference!!!

I BEG OF YOU ALL TO PLEASE:

a) respect the community who are allowing us access to their roads / tracks etc

b) respect our environment which is so limited.

c) support races that support recycling, or encourage race organisers to create employment by partnering with recyclers, who can collect from us at the end of the race

BUT most importantly

STASH YOUR TRASH!!! Star

Angry

beside the exessive use of the Caps Lock....very true! glad you didn't name and shame the person involved cos they alone don't represent a whole race. 

If the person was one of the organisers, all the more reason to name them. It reflects on the person and the organisers, not the race.

NAME THEM

Johan i thought of it and then i thought, what is more important making

this lady feel worse or look worse, or focusing on getting us all to

challenge people who litter when riding, and reminding us all to NOT

litter when riding!

I am opting for the "high road" i will ask you all to remember to STASH YOUR TRASH and to challenge those who don't!

(i did take solace in the fact that one of the other riders then came past me with a big thumbs up, after my little shouting match!)

Sorry adogshow... just a little, well, you can tell, agitated by this all.

Little12010-03-02 02:49:35

haha! sometimes you need to unleash the fury.  i get the same on the FLIPPEN roads in Natal.  okes just chuck their trash out of their cars.  saw a bag of KFC hauled out a drivers window once

Some clown in the A bunch at Carnival City on Sunday also dropped a gel wrapper. He got a mouthful from myself and Nigel. It really p_sses me off as it is so easy to just put it back in your friggin' pocket.

I regret not memorising his race number, looking him up on ChampionChip and putting his name up here. But I will do that next time.

Little1: I accept your viewpoint. It's not a case of high and low roads though. I feel that, as organisers,people have an added responsibility to constantly remind riders to stash their trash and also to set an example. I ride the Swartberg Pass regularly and see too many goo packets to take the middle road on this one smiley1.gif

Actually I feel more strongly about littering than doping (not that there's any doping in cycling of course...now that should wake up the lunchtime sleepers!) smiley2.gif

Some clown in the A bunch at Carnival City on Sunday also dropped a gel wrapper. He got a mouthful from myself and Nigel. It really p_sses me off as it is so easy to just put it back in your friggin' pocket.

I regret not memorising his race number' date=' looking him up on ChampionChip and putting his name up here. But I will do that next time.[/quote']

I remember seeing that as well. I also wanted to say something but the rider was a few riders away from me.

Little1, you should contact other people from the race organisation and report the organiser in question.

I regret not memorising his race number' date=' looking him up on ChampionChip and putting his name up here. But I will do that next time.[/quote']

I saw rider 1144 also dropping his wrapper.. never got a chance to speak to him though

Trubie, I think that's the same rider we saw, because according to ChampionChip he rides for Midrand Country Cyclists. The guy that I sh@t on was wearing an MCC jersey.

Just like the guy I went past On Saturday morning close tho Glenburn lodge fixing his flat. He just ripped his tube out and flung it into the veld. He must have a lot of money to replace tubes.

Johan - i am planning on writing a strongly worded note to the organisers, just need to calm myself and focus on the issue.

I would like to get organisers to buy into the idea of getting recyclers to come and collect our stashed trash at the end of the race. So I need to be very careful about how i put it. Also have to admit, i was furious and let this lady have it (thankfully without swearing, so i still have some dignity). So i will need to put my words very clearly and thoughtfully! Geek

Trubie' date=' I think that's the same rider we saw, because according to ChampionChip he rides for Midrand Country Cyclists. The guy that I sh@t on was wearing an MCC jersey.[/quote']

Yes. That is the rider that I think I saw as well.

Little1 - that letter is a great idea.

We simply can't litter if we want the support of the general public for our activities - environmental concerns aside!

Well done in bringing this up here.