buying advice in the R20k-R30k mtb market

shorty101

Hi guys, my brother in law is looking to get a decent dual suspension mtb. He's looking to spend between R20k - R30k. He's not a serious mtber (yet) but as a professional Red Bull / KTM freestyle MX athlete he knows his way around a set of handle bars and will punish it from day 1. The kind of riding hell do is XC and a few races per year. He wants new! Had a look at a Giant anthem X2 and Trek Fuel EX8. What would you consider to be the absolute best choice in the price category??

He could probably also get a Chumba VF2 with XT/SLX components, XT wheels and Fox RP23 rear and Fox 120mm up front. Then he will have a bike that can comfortably accomodate all conditions and something different too. PM Ngala 24 for details. He will probably be back from Sabie early next week.

i just went through a similar process, and personally liked the Specialized Stumpjumper comp, great components bar the tyres, beautiful looking bike, I lreally like the brand and have been really happy with my 2007 stumpy,  and you can pick up a brand new one from Dunkeld Cycles for around R24k. If he was going to ride it harder there is also the Specialized enduro, but they will be able to give him better advice than me.

Doesnt he want a 65k bike for around 30k? Good condition but 2nd hand?

thats probably great advice, there was a Santa Cruz Heckler available which was an amazing deal, not sure if its yours rad006, but a beautiful bike

Just rode a Morewood Zula - frame is between R16K and R18K brand new and you could build up the rest for less than an additional R12K (if you buy from CRC). Awesome bike - and manufactured in SA.

SANTA CRUZ SUPER LIGHT OR HECKLER, I RIDE A SUPER LIGHT AND ITS A AMIZING BIKE, WITH A GOOD SHOCK ITS GREAT ON XC AND MARATHON RACES. BUKSIE2010-03-03 08:44:00

Commencal Meta 5.5, since he is a freestyler. 120mm travel all-round and it can take the punches from freestylers and downhiller a like and will still make a great XC bike.

Read this guy is going to Ride this bike hard.

XC riding ... will he be a stage racing type of race snake or will he be playing on the ST all the time.

Why I ask:

ST rider having fun and doing the odd XC marathon type ride ... Morewood Shova ST .. frame around the 12/13k mark

More XC race snake ... based on his aggressive nature on the MX bike a 120mm travel rig might suite him best. Good buys out there ... Commencal, Trek EX and Trance all received good reviews. The Speshie Stumpjumper also had trail bike of the year not too long ago .. good bikes.

RADs' 30k bike is most likely the Titus Motolite ... if this bike fits then take it quickly!

Good Luck and make sure he gets on the bike and gets a feel for it ... 20-30k is not small change to make a mistake based on a rushed decision.

Regards

Hairy

I would seriously advise him to keep a eye on the for sale section here on the hub. For that kind of money you can pick up a awesome bike, sure its not new, but definately worth while. I've bought a couple of bikes on here and got great deals everytime.

Brand New Cannondale Rize 5(2009) going for R23 860.

Medium Frame, Rockshock Tora, Juicy 3 Hydro's, Fox Float rear shock, 140 mm travel, SRAM X9 Rear Deraileur, WTB Speeddics rims,

2010 Cannondale Scalpel 3 Brand New for R36 000

Phone 033 343 2276 Wsquared Cycling