Mervin Dinkleman not good, who gives good service?

Purnjap

Am new to cycling, have for the first time taken my Trek 3700 to someone other than Cyclelab Centurion - took it to Mervin Dinkleman. They just needed to upgrade the real derailleur to 2010 Shimano Deore, fit new chain, give full service and return. I paid the R1 270 or such bill which I thought was cheap compared to cyclelab's quote, but the friggen chain just slipped when I tried to peddal/ride. So i took it back. They "changed a sprocket", apologised, salesman said he "rode it himself" to make sure it works. The MOMENT i got home and on the bike it was clear that changing the shifter from 3 to 2 to 1 did not result in a single gear change! Do I take it back a third time? Or can someone point me towards someone in Centurion who will actually give me a perfectly tuned bike back? Purnjap2010-03-03 12:13:05

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing how you have paid for your pains, I would take it back until you are satisfied. Ask them to ride it around while you watch!

Take it back, when you go collect it take it for a short ride and check, gear shifting is one of the easiest maint jobs to fix.

TAKE IT BACK - and ask to speak with Mervin, he is a good guy when it comes to service normally.

I had some good service from Grant Cycles in the past, but with Alf Horne gone, I'm not sure where to take my bikes now.

Take it back and ask to talk to Mervin or his father and explain your complaint. They actually do deliver quality work. In Centurion area I do not think there is anyone better than Merv. There is Cyclelab, Fritz, Grant, Centurion Cycles.

Censored   take it back.... and don't hold back. You are paying for a service which is not being delivered. Your money... 

Take it back and get them to fix it.. Then spread the word to others not to take their bike to this shop for services. I'm just so gatvol of poor service from bike shops. Right now, after reading this, I definitly wont be taking my bike their for a service.

Mervin is a good guy and tries his best - his staff sucks! I can tell you 3 or 4 stories.........

Try Fritz Pienaar in Irene (South Downs center).....

Learn to do it at home, if you don't know how you can start of at parktool's website. Anything that does not require special tools can be done at home.

Speak to Johan Oberholzer ( Obie)  at Merv's . 

He helps me and my training partner with things we cannot do our self on our race bikes. 

I do not go anywhere else but to Mervin D with my bike.  Always got great service there.  Agree with Roux 1, speak to Obie.

Mervin has always gone out of his way to help where other shops in the area (Centurion) only point you to the reps.

Go back, Mervin will sort your problems out.  Sorry about your frustration.

I agree with most of the replies here: this is not normal, so take it back and have them fix it while you wait, and test everything you are not happy with before you leave. Ask for Obie, he knows what he is doing. Although I service my bike myself these days I have had mostly good experiences from Mervyn's shop. Mervyn and his dad are good guys.

PS. I have found out the hard way that bike carrier racks can stuff up gear cabling big time if you are not careful... maybe that's the problem?

My experience with bike shops is not a good one. I do all my own servicing of mine and my wife's road and mountain bikes. I found that the owners of the shops generally give good service and make sure quality work is done, but they can't watch their staff all the time. Staff get paid for their work. Genrally don't care about the work as long as they get their cheque at the end of the day.

There are definitley the exceptions but finding them may take more frustration and pain than learning how to do it yourself.

I rather do the service myself and if its a half job its my own fault. At least i have not paid for the half job.

Don't know about Obie........... he serviced my MTB before and made some serious mistakes...............