training tyres - indoor

rodga

hi all

i need to get a set of tyres that i wanna use on an indoor trainer for my road bike.

will any tyre do or do i need something more specific?

i also got a new set of aksyiums that i wanna use on the road. wat do i need to fit these to my current bike? can i just get any shimano cassete?

thanks

The IDT will chew up a normal tyre much more quickly than riding it on the road will. Continental makes an IDT specific tyre (Ultrasport Hometrainer, I think). It's a bright yellow colour - you can't mistake it for anything else. You'll just need one for your rear wheel, not a whole set.

You should just be able to use the Aksyiums just by putting on the cassette and putting them on your bike. You may need to make some slight adjustments to your rear shifting. You can usually accomplish this just by fiddling with the barrel adjuster.

thanks

went to go check out that conti - it was priced at about 500

will look around and see if i can get it cheaper

otherwise ill use the old tyre i have for now

also if i wanted to get a new cassette for the aksyiums does it have to be a sora? or can i get a 105? are the interchangeable?

105 is 10 speed and I suspect Sora may be 9 speed (or at least it used to be), so I don't think they'd be interchangeable.

I bought the yellow continental yesterday from Cajees in Bedfordview / Kensington for R350. They actually quoted R330 but insited it was R350 when I went to collect. The issue is that at Sportsmans Warehouse, the cheapest slick mtb tyre goes for something like R99. I am not sure if the yellow one will last 3 times longer

the one i saw was at cajees in centurion for 595, im very sure of it

maybe it was for 2?

Price on the box is labelled as R500, they had to order when I was there on Tuesday. Seems like they negotiate everything beyond logic.