Better half dismounted at 30kph..

dollar

Had a bit of drama this week. my wife clipped the oke in front and came off.

Sadly she was going a tad fast and landed very badly - on her cheek bone mainly.

Wow - it looks like she crashed an F16 rather than a bike at 30k's. She is in a pretty bad way - albeit "walky talky" she is still in a lot of pain and has minor injuries all over. I have been told to sell her road bike!

Looking at her I cant argue at the moment. I am sort of waiting for the pain to diminish before I suggest that she gets back on the bike - after I fix it (anyone selling a reasonable RD?) but I am in two minds about pushing the issue....

Did learn a few things though - helmet does zip for your face - unless it has a peak on. Gloves are essential - her right glove is trashed - gel/leather and all. Hand is bruised and wounded. Can you imagine the injury without it? Cycling shorts do nothing for road rash. I ride motorcycles - so I am wondering if a strip or two of kevlar may not help a bit....

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

eish, i know that feeling & i sympathise fully with her. Youll see shel get back on the bike however dont expect it anytime soon.

The initial fear 1st needs to disappear

Hope she has very speedy recovery

That's bad.

Some female advice: wait untill she heals completely before you even say the words: get back on the bike. She now wants your sympathy and nothing else. Fix the bike without telling her. Once she's okay, she'll probably say something about cycling and then it's your turn to talk about it.Wink

Thanks guys - and girls particularly. I will take it very easy with the bike story....

Oh - another lesson I learned - to lie down in a private hospital with an Ice pack on your face costs you R1300 and the medical aid does not pay for it because you are not admitted. They need the cash please. So taking R100 in your shirt is not going to do it - you need to have your CC with you at all times?

Hi my advice : not to fix the bike right away, give the injuries time to heal physical and mental, and then fix the bike and suggest to you wife you go ride a couple of time together before you sell it as once it is sold you would miss the time spent together riding.  Take it very slow, like you rode when you and she just started riding and then if she stil wants to sell. Sell the bike.  <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

But right now do not push the issue.

And shame man I also fell on my face once had a huge rostie on my left side of my face it took ages to heal and I was extremely worried about scaring, and I decided that day to leave the gloves at home as it was extremely hot the last time I do something that stupid still have the scars to remind me to wear my gloves.  But my accident happened on jeep track at around 20km/ph so was not that bad.

No female or marital advice from me but i came off a week ago round 20km/h. Water and sand in a corner aren't friendly.

I ride a SuperBike most days for work and it's kinda kicked in that even with a lot more protection, coming off that thing at any speed is gonna hurt like hell.

Grazed & bruised with my ego in check, i too realise that cycling kit offers very little protection. Been around 7 years since my last serious fall. I don't ride with gloves, even now post fall, stupid but i agree that your hands are the first thing you brace yourself with.

Wishing her a speedy recovery and i truely hope the enjoyment of riding her bike isn't clouded by this accident.

Sorry to hear about the accident.

My wife had two nasty falls (Both were Hospital trips , scans , xrays etc etc) ( Let it be known that neither of the accidents were her fault)

Let your wife heal, and give her TLC.

an accident is an emotional thing , and facial injuries makes it even worse, for the fairer sex.

Support and listen this is what she needs from you right now.

But you need to still keep training (plants a seed for her)

Not you , but somebody close to your "network" needs to raise the subject of riding again , ( After she feels better)

once the subject is discussed, let her decide when although a little cencouragement from your side is beneficial (Do not force it), but ensure that you are supportive all the way.

Some rides on your own (The two of you) will also help for her to regain the confidence.

Good luck

Guest Big H

No fall is good and getting the guts back to ride again will take time. Sympathies about her injuries, luckily it seems the bike is not damaged too much!!!!!!!!!!

Ouch, best wishes to her.

My fell last year and ended up with a double fracture to her pelvis. Has the bike fixed pretty much by the time she got out of hospital. She got back to it pretty quickly and did a 2h49 at the carnival last week. I never pushed her at all. Bike needs to fixed if she is going to use it again or sell it. I would just quietly fix it and leave the rest to her.

Tell her to stop being full of nonsense and get back on the bike as soon as the doc says she can or  buy her a set of knitting needles and some thread.

Hope she recovers soon! Falling at 30kph is better than at 20kph.

When the time is right, fix the bike but with so new product or addition as well. Then she will want to ride again. Make it an incentive.

Oh, and hope that she doesn't read this thread! Wink
Andyr2492010-03-05 08:32:49

Mr Dollar, best of wishes and a speedy recovery for Mrs Penny.

As my wife once told me..."Jy kan my nie maak nie!!!"  So don't push the issue just yet.