Tyres & Tubes

DesertConvert

Beginners question Wink

I ride a mountain bike with 26 x 1.95 tyre size. I have just bought a set of 26 x 1.5 slicks to ride the Argus on. Can I use the same tubes (which I suspect I can't) or do I need to fit another size tube. I haven't quite figured out the dimensioning yet.

Thanks.

nope you can use the same tubes  - your tube will mould to the tyre not the other way round when you start inflating.

So long as the tube is 26" then its fine. the tubes Width will be dependant on the tyre as you start inflating
BumpNgrind2010-03-05 07:42:19

Excellent, thanks! That will save me a bit if I don't have to add slime to new tubes. I don't feel like repairing possible punctures, though starting from OB group I think the majority of nails, thorns & other sharp objects will have been cleaned up by the riders before me Smile

Excellent' date=' thanks! That will save me a bit if I don't have to add slime to new tubes.[/quote']

you know that you can get them pre-filled these days?

Excellent' date=' thanks! That will save me a bit if I don't have to add slime to new tubes.[/quote']

you know that you can get them pre-filled these days?

I didn't but I do now Tongue

Will keep that in mind for the next purchase I need to make. I had my LBS fill them when I bought the bike.

I had my LBS fill them when I bought the bike.

I bet they just replaced them with pre-filled ones. I don't see a shop fill tubes these days. smiley36.gif

Beginners question Wink

I ride a mountain bike with 26 x 1.95 tyre size. I have just bought a set of 26 x 1.5 slicks to ride the Argus on. Can I use the same tubes (which I suspect I can't) or do I need to fit another size tube. I haven't quite figured out the dimensioning yet.

Thanks.

you still use tubes on a MTB?Confused

Ouch Canaris, you cut me deep man, you cut me deep Wink

I'm still a rank beginner. Started riding end of last year when the wife decided she wanted to do the Argus - wasn't going to let her do it alone! So, been training for the Argus & haven't even been off-road with my bike yet :-(

Once the Argus is done & dusted I will pop over to Groenies for an inaugural ride. Anyone feel like breaking in a new MTB'er?

Anyway, to answer the question...I haven't moved to tubeless yet, no. :-(

DesertConvert2010-03-05 08:32:07

Comming back to your question..yes, it's perhaps a tad bit trickeir to get the bigger tube in the small tyre without casuing a pinch....

BUT the upside is atube that doen not have to stretch so much (compared to a thin 1.50 diam one)...therefore in theory.....you should have a thicker tube wall and less chance of a puncture???

Hope this make sense.....

PS - Get on the dirt ASAP!!!