what cage - medium/long??

cat-i

want to order a derrailleur from CRC.

it's SRAM X.o (will get the levers as well) .... i have no idea what cage length i need.

it comes in long, medium and super-short. i assume it's not super-short (it looks a bit roadie-ish) - so do i need medium or long?

it's a giant trance, i have Shimano XT on there, but nowhere on that cage do i find a length.

if you asked a roadie question about which one for the road bike, i might have been able to help.

this is clearly for your mtb, so id rather not give you my roadie advice Wink

for mtb will generally be long cage, I think only meduim, short it you have smaller cassette ?and chain ring range, - but thats just my guess. I recently got X.9 Long Cage RD withr Redwin Red 11-34 Cassette and its all good. Did you consider the Twisters or are you sold on levers?

kosmonooit2010-03-06 02:37:05

super short is for DH...

I use med, and have no problem.

Using long cage you can use a wider range of gears (eg bigger than 44 on the fron or bigger than 32 on the back)

you also have to be more weary of 'cross chaining' on a med cage der.... that's when you're in the big ring on both the front and back, which stretched the der. to it's max - which is obviously is longer on a long cage der.

Here are the general rules for rear derailleurs:

Long Cage - 3 blade crank (ie Std MTB crank)

Medium Cage - 2 or 1 blade crank

Short Cage - 1 blade crank

If you have an 11-34 cassette a medium will suffice, unless you like to cross-chain badly in the big blade and the 34 (not good)

Generally if you ride a straight-ish chain you wont need a long cage. The medium will keep the chainslap down to a minimum over the short cage too.

Short cages are nice for racers who keep there gears low and ride a 32t max

Hi cat-i

Solomons have the SRAM XO RD advertised on special in their latest flyer for R999.95

last time I looked they were about 1350 at CRC so you might be to save a bit there and get it quicker

As above with 3 blade crank I would go for the long cage

Cheers

Crasher

Thanks crasher. Was looking for a X0. A SECONDHAND ONE BEING ADVERTISED FOR R 1100... I just made the eft to Solomons. A bargain. They only have the medium cage.

The original question:

The safest answer is a long cage for a 34 cassette. BUT I have used a med cage X9 that came standard with a Giant Trance (11-34) without any problems. I generally try not to cross chain though.

Hi cat-i

Solomons have the SRAM XO RD advertised on special in their latest flyer for R999.95

last time I looked they were about 1350 at CRC so you might be to save a bit there and get it quicker

As above with 3 blade crank I would go for the long cage

Cheers

Crasher

crasher - thx - but it's got to be pink (sorrrrryyyyyy) .... will phone them on monday to find out if they have them in that colour

dusty, maybe we can compare derrailleurs tomorrow at groenkloof? just so i can see what it looks like

for mtb will generally be long cage' date=' I think only meduim, short it you have smaller cassette  and chain ring range, - but thats just my guess. I recently got X.9 Long Cage RD withr Redwin Red 11-34 Cassette and its all good. Did you consider the Twisters or are you sold on levers?

[/quote']

kosmo - i don't know what the twisters look like - will have to google to find out what they are  - thx will have a look

Thanks crasher. Was looking for a X0. A SECONDHAND ONE BEING ADVERTISED FOR R 1100... I just made the eft to Solomons. A bargain. They only have the medium cage.

The ones from Solomons flyer is the 2007 model - still a huge bargain though!

I see they sell the 2008 for R1699.95
Wernervdmerwe2010-03-06 15:24:12