Fatal Oudshoorn accident

capeofstorms

Concentrate on the issue at hand..... the grief of the people who lost loved ones....................... and stop bickering about who is at fault or not.

Rather start doing something constructively later on.............. instead of spewing hot air over everybody now.
ClapClap

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As i said before maybe a day throughout the country that is co-ordinated as a sympathy/strike (solidarity) ride through our major cities may be a way to start. Yes i know it smacks of the Taxi mentallity, but we live in Africa and doing what Africans do, may just give the powers that be something to think about. Lets get the motor cyclists involved as well. Just a thought guys. But something has to be done for the good of all that use our roads.

This is really a sad day for SA Cycling and again my heartfelt condolences to family & friends.

Please wear a black armband to pay respect to the deceased.

Sign-Up has promised that it will undertake a vigorous media education campaign. All the ideas are in place but we need funding for this. I have approached Cyclelab but they are unable to help (note unable and NOT unwilling).

I have plans for both TV & print media adverts but need funding.

So if anyone knows a company that is willing to sponsor and or donate towards this please mail me at shaun@sign-up.co.za.

I appeal once again to all those cyclists to be safe out there. Lets start by adhering to the rules that are there to protect us. When a tragic event like this occurs lets not give people reason to point fingers.

I appeal to all motorists to be more vigilant and to exercise patience out there.Remember cyclists are traffic too and have loving families at home.

PLEASE, PLEASE YIELD TO LIFE!!!

We need sponsors for the attached bumper stickers as well.

20100309_022528_new_share.jpgshaunh2010-03-09 02:26:39

An old cycling book I had recommended riding towards the traffic, especially on a national road. It seems sensible - at least you can see what's coming and take evasive action.

I'll admit I nearly rode into a cyclist once, in the days before I became a recovering alcoholic. Granted, he was riding in a dumb place, past the CTICC on Eastern Boulevard. But I was drunk, closed my eyes, and found myself in the yellow line about 25 metres behind him. I thank my Higher Power that nothing happened.

Guys, please be extra vigilant on early Saturday and Sunday mornings in particular - the Ou Kaapse Weg stories are mine, with more tragic endings.

Strength to the families, not only of the Oudtshoorn 3. May all victims ride in peace in heaven.

What should happen is that people only get their car licenses at 20, and from 18-20 be forced to cycle or ride bikes.  You are infinitely more aware of whats going around once you've driven a bike or cycled.

Napalm2010-03-09 03:08:52

slowpoke  - i agree that we need to do something seriously about the current situation, but right now we have to be pro-active in our approach to cycling. The current situation is as such, that you have to take care of yourself because nobody else will do . If its a dangerous road, then you take a fat chance to ride there, trusting that nothing will happen.

The laws will have to be stricter applied and motorists needs to be bombarded about the rights of cyclists too. But till then we have to be extra carefull. Cyclists will have to wear bright colours and have reflectors/lights on their bikes for the late afternoon or early morning rides. When my son rides on a narrow  busy road, i always follow him in my car and the hazzards are on. 

I know in this case it was a totally different situation, but all i am trying to say is that we need to think ahead to survive in this country, untill everybody is educated about cyclists rights or we will have many more tragedies due to cars, taxis and trucks.

Try and look at both sides of the story.

This motorist  is a guilty as it can be and nothing will now bring back those "murdered" cyclists.

Lets rather think of how we can avoid this in the future and start campaigns countrywide like proposed about the Argus, and inform the public if the authorities neglect to do so. Lets have a system where everybody respects each others rights and know the consequences of your actions.

I think that we may be losing sight of the reality of our situation.

On this black day for cycling 4 people were killed in a taxi accident. Another 4 children were mowed down by guys dragging their cars. Today a number of construction workers killed by a truck.

SA is at war with itself. Have you heard any politicians saying anything sensible about the situation? Of course not - the simply dont care.

Our road death statistics are so high, people are mute to them in general. It's only when it hits close to home that we take note - for a while.

This is the way it is in SA now. We are now really part of Africa. European driving standards dont apply here.  The solution is a new government that actually values the lives of it's population. Not going to happen any time soon.....

Hi Guys. On the latest report is that three of the cyclist were murdered yesterday morning by the driver, and the fourth is recovering after a elbow operation.

And you read correctly I did say murdered!

An old cycling book I had recommended riding towards the traffic' date=' especially on a national road. It seems sensible - at least you can see what's coming and take evasive action.
[/quote']

This is illegal and you should not be on a national road in the first place.. if you get hit on a national road don't think of blaming the motorist!

The cyclists had the right of way they were also road users.  Some of us pay a licence fee to be registered.  Not sure what all that covers, perhaps some issue could be considered for life insurance.  I'll mail CSA and ask them to consider this in future.  It doesn't bring the cyclists back, but it may help the family to know that the cycling fraternity does care. Of course, if sufficient funds, the mototrist could be legally tackled.  

The motorist overtook into the path of oncoming traffic, finish & klaar. The excuse of the sun in his eyes, then why was he overtaking, he wouldn't have seen the Scania either then!. 

I train with Velo in Pretoria and we have vehicles to warn motorists and to prevent motorists from riding onto our back wheels.  Believe me, when the van has stopped to assist a puncture, the motorists believe they should be able to squeeze between the broken white line and the cyclists.  Even when they can easily use the other lane, they still try to squeeze past us. 

Guest Big H
An old cycling book I had recommended riding towards the traffic' date=' especially on a national road. It seems sensible - at least you can see what's coming and take evasive action.
[/quote']

This is illegal and you should not be on a national road in the first place.. if you get hit on a national road don't think of blaming the motorist!

WRONG on your "national road" statement above ...... this is a misconception fueled by ignorance.

You may ride on any expressway or any road not demarcated with a centre island unless prohibited by signage wheter it is a national road or not. You may however NOT ride on a freeway, whether it is a National Road or not.

Search the Hub, the definitions for these roads have been given many times before.

My condolences to the families and friends involved.

Maybe PPA could assist by having riders sign a petition at Argus registration? Where will you get 30,000+ signatures in one town in a few days?

We say there is a problem with safety of cyclists, law enforcement, penalties for offenders against cyclists being knocked down etc.  Hand over the petition on the morning of the race to one of the public officials at the start. ?

The motorist overtook into the path of oncoming traffic' date=' finish & klaar. The excuse of the sun in his eyes, then why was he overtaking, he wouldn't have seen the Scania either then!. 

[/quote']

Much agreed.

From the car forums page:"  Government is going to give cyclists a 1.5m gap to overtake....blah...blah..."

THEY DON'T EVEN KNOW THAT IT IS THE LAW ALREADY AND HAS BEEN FOR YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*$(*%$% Mense is incompetent!!!  Like giving a paluka a scalpel and telling him to operate without training.....give him a killing machine moving at 100km/h without proper education!!!  AngryAngryAngryAngry

Concentrate on the issue at hand..... the grief of the people who lost loved ones....................... and stop bickering about who is at fault or not.

Rather start doing something constructively later on.............. instead of spewing hot air over everybody now.
ClapClap

Well said!! Let's focus & aim our energy (and anger) in the right direction and not at each other.

PeterM2010-03-09 04:31:22