can i weld on disc brake bracket onto mtb frame

superga

is it possible and where can it be done in cape town???

i have a old gt pantera oversized heat treated alu 7071, wonderful very strong bike, and would like to upgrade to disc brakes so only need to put bracket onto the one seat stay. please help as geometry suits me and havent found new frame that feels the same.. i am 1.9m tall and weigh 112 kg so need stronger rather than lighter frame???? smiley19.gif smiley19.gif smiley19.gif

It is not impossible but I suggest you find a really good aluminium welder. Look in your yellow pages or find someone who does mag wheel repairs or something. The only problem is that it will tend to "pull" from the excessive heat required to weld it. (it may warp the frame slightly when it starts to cool) It may also create a weak point at the weld and in time may crack there. I MAY sound negative but try it, keep a look out for cracks and ride it till it breaks or till you upgrade properly. mho  

Guest Big H

You said it in your mail above "heat treated" All frames are heat in as a whole frame. This localized welding will cause a weak point.

Trek / Gary Fisher used to make a bracket that bolted onto the stays.

The Trek/Fisher adapters bolted onto existing holes made specifically for those frames, its not impossible but like manbearpig says it can be risky...

Rather get an engineering shop to machine you a bracket.

I know a guy who wanted to put a disc brake on his 24inch cruiser. They welded a piece of flat iron to his fork and drilled holes in it for the disc caliper. Worked like a charm. Probably still does. But that was a thick steel fork and not a thinner ali seatstay.

Now where to get one!!!

Have seen similar ones on Ebay for $49.99. But you still have to add on shipping.

I would speak to a frame builder, ask around at your lbs, I know that there is someone in Belville, but forget his name

Thats the guy Francois Du Toit, I spoke to him some time ago about some frame problems and he was a great help

Been looking at this kind of thing for a long, long time...

Have an old Ti-frame that would be eminently suited to a conversion... And would obviously prefer avoiding having anyone come near to my frame with a blowtorch Tongue

Just been in contact with Brake Therapy, they don't have a distributor in South Africa but they will ship for $10.

But the conversion kit costs $149.00

Just been in contact with Brake Therapy' date=' they don't have a distributor in South Africa but they will ship for $10.

But the conversion kit costs $149.00
[/quote']

Sjoe.... R1,5k might be an expensive experiment... I know I probably shouldn't be, but quite nervous it doesn't fit properly... Surely the margin for error is non-existent?

Who's going to be the guinea-pig and let us know how this goes? Anyone?

OK, I saw this on ebay now $49.99 seems a bit better.

But give me a few weeks, going to see if I can get anything made up that is similar.

Those interested let me know and I will see if it can be done and for how much. (Hopefully the more done, the cheaper it will be)