Cleaning your MTB chain...

MJ the Expat

Yeah, yeah, I know - This is not the first one!

I just love a clean chain and so I have tried different things when it came to cleaning my MTB chain...

1. That Citrus stuff you buy at any LBS. It work's the bomb but it is just way to expensive.

2. Fuel - Works well but what do you do with the dirty fuel once tha chain is clean? Just dump it on the ground?

3. Diesel - the same as above. Leaves your chain nice and clean but if you spill diesel anywhere it leaves a nasty oily residue.

This morning I tried something new - Oven cleaner.

Put your chain in a plastice bag. Spray some oven cleaner in there. Really don't need a lot of it. Let it sit. Remove chain from the bag. You can just rinse it off and it should be spanky clean...I just ran it through one of those chain cleaners with the gears and bristles a couple of times, before I rinsed it off and the chain looked brand new!

Works well. Nice citrus smell. Less expensive than the other citrus degreaser!

oven cleaner ? very interesting

Im still doing it very manual, clean green, nail brush & lotsa scrubbing

name of said oven cleaner plz.......

Great idea.

I think you will have to oil the chain well after cleaning it though. The grease in the links will be gone.

I've been using clean green (bought a 5l) and one of those chain cleaners with brush wheels, it works well, quick and hassle-free. Good investment.

I tried the clean green stuff (sunlight liquid also works well) - works well when one uses a "dry" lube. As soon as you use a "wet" lube for a wet race, it becomes hard work getting the chain clean.

Sure you have to re-grease your chain after cleaning it. ALWAYS!!!

Mr Muscle oven cleaner was about R35.

Phew! Al questions answered...
MJ loves MTB2010-03-08 08:31:30

I would be a bit careful with Oven Cleaner from a corrosive point of view,  my instincts tell me.

Clean Green has worked well with both dry and wet chain lubes I use on MTB and roadie, but its that chain cleaner goodie that makes the diffs, compared  to say using just a brush.

I thought about the corrosion too...But does a mtb chain last long enough for the corrosion to affect the chain...???

seeing that you use the wive's cleaning stuff, why not do what I did and do it a bit manly. I used (past tense, found something better) Madam and Eve's Braai and grill cleaner. Only available from P'nP.

Paraphine and a parktool chain cleaner is the Shizzz! cleans chain in 2min and its like new rinse with sunlight in a sponge and presto, Paraphine is also oil based so you left with a oil film inside the rollers . done it for years never had a issue , Oh and you dont need to remove your chain just remove the back wheel fit a inner axel and quick release with a peace of hose pipe over it so the chain can run easy use the parktool chain cleaner and job done .

And what do you guys do with the dirty parafine?

Uhm... start your next braai with it? LOL

If you want a cheap degreaser get some engine cleaner from Midas or your local car spares place. About R100 for 5l. Might try using some in my oven.Big%20smile

And what do you guys do with the dirty parafine?

Im lucky enough to have a enviro serve waist deposil drum at work for hazardous liquids.