MTB Upgrade Options

Beenie

I currently have a Silverback Alpine. I love the bike but think i need to upgrade.. While a new bike would be great, I dont have the cash for that now. So im looking at other stuff.

What are my options?

1. Wheels - what whould I be looking out for? what question must i be asking? What prices am i looking at? Tubeless or not?

2. Components - how big a difference to things like derailleurs, hydraulic brakes etc make?

3. Fork - too expensive

4. What else?

Fork. Keep an eye out for a second hand one in the classifieds here, you can find a bargain if you're willing to lurk around a bit. Leave the components alone till they break, then replace them with better ones.

Fork. Keep an eye out for a second hand one in the classifieds here' date=' you can find a bargain if you're willing to lurk around a bit. Leave the components alone till they break, then replace them with better ones.[/quote']

Agree with droo - fork first, then wheelset (tubeless compatible if you can stretch to it. Hydraulic brakes would by my next upgrade thereafter.

Problem is - these 3 upgrades can be quite pricey. The other option is to look for a good used bike here or elsewhere - can be cheaper than upgrading all the bits.

Depends on how much you want to spend. Just upgraded my bike a bit. Went for the wheelset first and made a huge difference, saved 700grams and got heavy tubless tires which i can save another 400grams on for my next set of tires, went to disks as well. Fork is the next thing to do and then all the components like crank and cassette.

Thanks for the responses guys.

DJ84 - Not quite sure what wheels cost, so dont know how much i want to spend if that makes sense. What is a realistic amount for a decent set of wheels?

First, make sure the handlebar, stem and saddle are right for you. Then upgrade the fork, then tyres, and then only wheels. Anything after that would be better for you to save up for another bike than to upgrade your current bike. The Alpine is a great bike and besides the fork, everything else should last you well.

Got a nice saddle recently, so thats sorted. How do i know if the stem and handlebars are not right for me? How do i know which one is?

Think i've been persuaded on the fork bit. Will look out for a good 2nd hand one. Maybe some tyre too :)

I came across a great deal and got XT Wheels for R 2k. I think the wheels are a better initial upgrade as the biggest advantage to weight loss is in the wheels as it makes a difference everywhere. I also believe your wheelset is not capable of being converted to tubeless and this is a big advantage over tubes. Just think of what you want to do and look for good deals.

I have Edge disc wheelsets arriving in the next week or 2. 1822g's per set @ R2,100 incl. 2 year warranty. Do you have v-brakes or disc brakes? If v-brakes then it would be cheaper to change brakes and wheels together if you want to change to discs in the future... Will also have a set of Juicy 5's with 160mm rotors and Fulcrum Red Metal 5 wheels for sale in the next few weeks (done about 250km's on the wheels and brakes are a bit older, but very good condition).

Forks are an expensive investment and you have to be careful with used forks because maintenance is extremely expensive so make sure it's been looked after well...

Send me a pm if you're looking for other parts (not drivetrain though), have some relatively light parts available at much lower prices than equivalent parts from local shops.

In the long run, if you're replacing wheels/fork/drivetrain etc., it is probably much more affordable to buy a good condition used bike, but a lot more fun to build up your own!

I have mechanical disc brakes at the moment.

I'll pm you when i have decided on what i want/need