how i will make south africa's roads safer

cat-i

gonna wear a black armband on sunday.

it will be a sign of my pledge to make the south african roads safer.

when on my bike on public roads i'll:

- respect traffic rules

- know that i'm invisible to all vehicles

- ride single file

- in an event, when there's not full road closure, ensure that i stay on the left side of the white line

- wear my helmet - and fasten it (2 guys in groenkloof on sunday - one with helmet, but not fastened, and the other one with his helmet in his backpack???)

- wave and smile thank you when-ever a car noticed me and gave me a gap (even though it was legally my turn at the traffic circle)

when i'm in my car i'll

- not answer the cell phone if i don't have my hands free kit already on the phone (that includes not fumbling for the hands free kit when the phone rings) - calling back is cheaper than repairing damage to the car

- not type sms's

- not put on make-up while in traffic (was watching the whole episode in the car in front of me last week - from base to mascara and liquid eyeliner, 4 different shades of eye-shaddow, lips, even the hair)

- not accelerate when the traffic light is red

- not clog up the whole intersection when the light is green, so that no-one else can get through when it's their turn

- be curteous to at least one driver a day (even if it is a taxi) - with some luck he'll pass it on.

anybody else who wants to help me with this??

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

smiley32.gif smiley32.gif smiley32.gif smiley32.gif smiley32.gif smiley32.gif smiley32.gif

That's where we should be heading after yesterday! Was amazing to see groups of cyclists out at 5:50am this morning in groups, riding abreast the bulk without any front lights! C'mon guys wake up!!!!!!!

Good on you Cat-i. Not like the Dimension Data group that came past me on HP on Sunday morning. I was standing still at a red light on the corner of HP and Doreen. The first two guys went through. Then the next guy and the lady behind him shouting "can I come through". Then another 4 or 5 went through. All this just to stop 10m on the otherside and wait for the rest of their mates.

don't know why people don't stop at red traffic lights.

Its dodgy in a car - now imagine being hit by a car from the side!

the positive side of a stop is that you get to start again and work those muscles.

for others this is a great time to have a drink (because its too dodgy when they are moving)

one other thing.... DONT ride on small roads (with no shoulder) in peak traffic! 

ensure that i stay on the left side of the white line

How about trying to stay on the left of the yellow line?

know that i'm invisible to all vehicles

smiley5.gif you got me on that one... how are you planning to do that?

Sorry to be pessimistic but there's so much one can do here - I think the problem is really the quality of drivers, habits and attitude:

Really +80% of drivers do not have the right training nor respect for the road and other road users and should not be entitled to drive on public roads.

And the attitude: on Sunday pm some driver (happened to be young black female) cut right across my path in front of me: she didnt stop at a yield sign feeding into the road I was on, I had to brake heavily? to avoid her, she then proceeded to give me the finger. Nice. Thats why I dont own a gun. ?

I ride to avoid cars at all times, on back roads and pavements if possible. I dont expect them to have seen me or even give me any consideration even if they have. ?But its the ones you dont see that will be fatal.?

kosmonooit2010-03-09 02:57:57

I am not sure if the government or council are doing something about how to make the road safer. They talks too much, but nothing is done.

Example:- Look at the main road between Muizenberg and Fish hoek. They are busy repairing the road, but no cycling paths yet??? How many cyclists use that road??

I feel they should add extra line for cyclist, if they repair or build new road....

Sorry to be pessimistic but there's so much one can do here - I think the problem is really the quality of drivers' date=' habits and attitude:

Really +80% of drivers do not have the right training nor respect for the road and other road users and should not be entitled to drive on public roads.

And the attitude: on Sunday pm some driver (happened to be young black female) cut right across my path in front of me: she didnt stop at a yield sign feeding into the road I was on, I had to brake heavily? to avoid her, she then proceeded to give me the finger. Nice. Thats why I dont own a gun. ?

I ride to avoid cars at all times, on back roads and pavements if possible. I dont expect them to have seen me or even give me any consideration even if they have. ?But its the ones you dont see that will be fatal.?

[/quote']

And hate to say it the quality and attitude of many cyclists also leaves alot to be desired!! I have been given the finger for hooting at a cyclist who tried to run a red robot with a flashing green arrow as I was turning left, luckily for the idiot concerned I happened to check my blind spot!

We really do need to be honest and admit that there are as many bad cyclists out there as there are bad drivers!

Good on you Cat-i. Not like the Dimension Data group that came past me on HP on Sunday morning. I was standing still at a red light on the corner of HP and Doreen. The first two guys went through. Then the next guy and the lady behind him shouting "can I come through". Then another 4 or 5 went through. All this just to stop 10m on the otherside and wait for the rest of their mates.

Lately I prefer cycling alone as the club I joined does the same thing. I just refuse to stand for that kind of behaviour.

ClapNice post cat-i.

guys, I think that you (or I) are the cyclists, its our lives that are most in danger, so its up to us to all the necessary precautions. there will always be bad drivers, always be speedsters, we got to be careful. its for our own good. and a little courtesy (wave of thanks) to drivers will go a long way!

Cat-I...good post.. rather than pointing the blame, start with addressing the our own faults first!

On sunday I rode with a group that preached safety, single file, stop at robots, blah blah blah...as soon as we got to the chapmans peak area they were having to much fun on the downhills to be bothered with stopping at stop streets and I could really see the residents getting pissed off. When I forced part of the bunch to stop and let a car through they looked at me as if I was mad.. sometimes we are our own worst enemies!!!

Brilliant post Cat-I, well done!

Anyone else notice the gross generalisation of the "Have your say" poll on this page http://www.iol.co.za/ ?

C'mon IOL, each case would HAVE to be considered individually, surely?

Cat-I...good post.. rather than pointing the blame' date=' start with addressing the our own faults first!

On sunday I rode with a group that preached safety, single file, stop at robots, blah blah blah...as soon as we got to the chapmans peak area they were having to much fun on the downhills to be bothered with stopping at stop streets and I could really see the residents getting pissed off. When I forced part of the bunch to stop and let a car through they looked at me as if I was mad.. sometimes we are our own worst enemies!!!

[/quote']

They weren't by any chance wearing blue and white kit?

I was pissed off.  Coming down chappies, had a group of guys over take me only to slow right down just after the toll booth.  There were in the middle of the road leaving enough space for 2 people to ride through on their left hand side.  As I was about to go through the gap, they decided to get going again and almost pushed me over the curb. 

As a cyclist on a skinny bike I was not able to pass them, I felt for the poor cars.  They were treating the road like it was Argus day and didn't give a stuff about anyone else, even there fellow cyclists.  Bunch of assholes IMO.

know that i'm invisible to all vehicles

smiley5.gif you got me on that one... how are you planning to do that?

I agree with cat-i.  Better to assume you're invisible and to ride defensively than to  assume they see you, and get run down.

I actually drive that way as well. Think for everyone around you.