Time to make Think Bike work for you

HeadMarshal

Firstly, from every single member of Think Bike, we would like to express our sheer horror at the recent events in Oudtshoorn and send our condolences to those families that have suffered this tragic loss.

I have been reading the threads and note the call for the black arm bands, this reminds me of the protest ride that I did 2 years ago when the 2 cyclists lost their lives in the Alberton area.

I would like to give you a little history, Think Bike was started by a small group of people on a biker discussion forum. These guys pooled some bucks and had some leaflets made, there was interest and some small sponsors chipped in and it grew from there.

The interesting part is how it grew and still continues to. We treat each biker as an evangelist, we give him 1 leaflet for him to read AND TEN MORE TO HAND OUT.

With your numbers and a similar commitment, we could be reaching hundreds of thousands of people, yet the cyclist seem reluctant to engage with us. The work has been done, there is no reason to re-invent the wheel and Think Bike has been very successful in the 4 short years of existence.

If you really want to do something, stop the apathy and join us. Together we can make a difference and make the roads safer for everyone

Yours in road safety:  Stranger aka HeadMarshal

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I don't want to be associated with Think Bike. I think they should change the name to Bike, THINK!!!!! How many times do I see somebody with a Think Bike vest or sticker driving like a maniac. I used a motorbike for nearly 3 years as my only means of transport and the only way you live to tell the tale is to think for yourself and the 10 people around you. Not by wearing a vest and telling people to think about you. I would be more than willing to join/contribute to Think Bike if members/affiliates had to sign an agreement to state that you will obey ALL road rules and get your act right first before trying to change other people's behaviour.

send me a bunch of Think bike stickers and I will put them on all signboards on the most frequently cycled routes in and around the Stellenbosch / Somerset west / Klipheuwel / Joostenberg area  - on my own cost (driving around)

lots of people here driving with the stickers on their cars.

Personally I don't want to be associated with Think Bike. I think they should change the name to Bike' date=' THINK!!!!! How many times do I see somebody with a Think Bike vest or sticker driving like a maniac. I used a motorbike for nearly 3 years as my only means of transport and the only way you live to tell the tale is to think for yourself and the 10 people around you. Not by wearing a vest and telling people to think about you. I would be more than willing to join/contribute to Think Bike if members/affiliates had to sign an agreement to state that you will obey ALL road rules and get your act right first before trying to change other people's behaviour.[/quote']

same goes for most groups. Some people will always just do whatever they want. be it a cycling team , or club riders.

I fully agree with you that riders need to think for them selves - but as far as I'm concerned - thats called logic , but seems that some people just don't give a damm and don't mind being run over by a car.

F'k - when i'm out on the bike I'm totally awake and alert - especially if you know the roads from driving in the car - you know the dangers involved so why take the risk??

No sticker or vest can replace logic - "Geen pille vir domheid nie"

Yeah, I got the sticker. Once you put the sticker on the back of your car you instantly drive more careful especially when bikes and cyclists are near, well, that's how it is for me, I don't just plak any k@k on my car, in fact, it's the only sticker on my car..

HeadMarshall, the impression I get is that it is more aimed at motorbikes and cycle events use them as marshalls. Maybe more of a joint effort might be good to create more of a cyclist and motorcyclist combination. That could only be beneficial. What about contacting Supercycling to get on the show to promote Think Bike?

Personally I don't want to be associated with Think Bike. I think they should change the name to Bike' date=' THINK!!!!! How many times do I see somebody with a Think Bike vest or sticker driving like a maniac. I used a motorbike for nearly 3 years as my only means of transport and the only way you live to tell the tale is to think for yourself and the 10 people around you. Not by wearing a vest and telling people to think about you. I would be more than willing to join/contribute to Think Bike if members/affiliates had to sign an agreement to state that you will obey ALL road rules and get your act right first before trying to change other people's behaviour.[/quote']

What a pity you are not talking to and associating with the right people. The mere fact that people are now wearing bibs shows how successful we have been with the campaign. You can also buy a bib at any P&P or builders warehouse.

Your answer now is to slate the very people that get out there and make a difference. Keyboard warrior comes to mind, apathetic is another word. Your demand is unreasonable and unrealistic and could equally be applied to every cyclist that refuses to ride in single file. Get off your arse, do some work for the good of the community and see how people are giving of their time, energy and money to make the roads safer for EVERYONE. If you can't get that point, no point talking to you.

HeadMarshall' date=' the impression I get is that it is more aimed at motorbikes and cycle events use them as marshalls. Maybe more of a joint effort might be good to create more of a cyclist and motorcyclist combination. That could only be beneficial. What about contacting Supercycling to get on the show to promote Think Bike?[/quote']

For more than 2 years now we have been inviting the cycling community to engage with us. The resistance comes from you, not the other way around. It goes so much further than cycle Marshaling, we have to stop the us and them attitude and work together.

You guys have huge resources and as I mentioned the work has already been done

Go here http://www.thinkbike.co.za/

tell me what you see on the top of the page, then tell me why there is so little cycle content.

HeadMarshal2010-03-09 05:38:31

What a pity you are not talking to and associating with the right people. The mere fact that people are now wearing bibs shows how successful we have been with the campaign. You can also buy a bib at any P&P or builders warehouse.

I've wanted to get a few stickers for a long time, but have no idea where to get them.  As for the bibs at Pnp and Builders, where?  I've not seen them at either of those stores in the Tableview area, but they are big stores so could just be that I haven't looked hard enough, or that they are not displayed somewhere that will catch peoples eyes.

Thanks HeadMarshal for your dedication to the cause.

Please mail

clock@thinkbike.co.za

we will organise with the CPT guys to get stock to you, maybe at the Argus. I know that they are Marshaling the Giro.

Please mailclock@thinkbike.co.zawe will organise with the CPT guys to get stock to you' date=' maybe at the Argus. I know that they are Marshaling the Giro.

[/quote']

Awesome.

I also stay in table view and I havent seen the vests around either.

Cool, I see there is a online shop as well.

It is far too hot to wear one of those vests though when cycling.

It would be really cool to get a relective cover like that for my backpack though.

Do you have anything like that?

It would be cool if you guys had think bike back pack bags.

What else can I do as a cyclist to help with this?

Your answer now is to slate the very people that get out there and make a difference. Keyboard warrior comes to mind' date=' apathetic is another word. Your demand is unreasonable and unrealistic and could equally be applied to every cyclist that refuses to ride in single file. Get off your arse, do some work for the good of the community and see how people are giving of their time, energy and money to make the roads safer for EVERYONE. If you can't get that point, no point talking to you.
[/quote']

Obviously you don't understand what I am trying to say. Sorry that I hit a nerve, but do not expect anybody to look out for bikes or bicycles if they don't do it themselves! Why should the normal John Doe give a rats nostril about the biker that rides way over the speed limit, without number plates and not using any indicators? Because he is wearing a think bike vest? I don't think so. What I suggested is that people should commit to road safety first before they can expect everyone else to commit to it. And before you say that I have to get off my behind, I did say that I am willing to contribute IF they clean up their acts.

And yes I do ride in single file. I cycle on my own most of the time as most cyclist ignore the fact that they are not the only people on the road and hate it that I point it out. And it is difficult to ride 2 abreast on single track :-)