removing all the air from a tube

The Ouzo

changing tube every other week because I punctures has started costing to much, so I've resorted to patching them.

The problem I have it how do you get all the air out of the tube so that you can fold it up nice and tight again to fit in your saddle bag ?

anyone got any tips ?

I suck it out with my mouth. Just bubble the bit below the valve to make sure it does not shut down the airflow. When you think all the air is out, just shut the bit you just bubbled against the valve opening to stop the tube sucking air in again. Quickly tighten the valve head.

if you find tricky trying to press the valve and flod the tude at the same time (I know I experience this at times), maybe take the valve out, or loosen it atleast?!

As for the punctures... get some tyre liners and slime... it prevents most of the problem in the first place Big%20smile

I can't believe there is a thread about letting air out of a tube.......

oh well, if you got what you're looking for then that's another point on the board for the interweb.

Suck it out like Mampara said. Develop a technique where your tongue holds the valve open as you suck.

Warning. If you inflate your tubes with CO2 and you suck on it, you're in for a big surprise. The brain is hardwired to react to CO2 in the air and it causes an inhale reflex. In other words, you suck something bad but your reflexes make you suck even more. It is a funny experience. Not dangerous, just something to experience once and then file away.

Good on you for patching tubes. I don't understand this throw-away culture where a tube is just tossed once it has a little hole in it. It is almost as bad as throwing away socks or underwear with holes in.

Patch it guys!

Guest Big H

Roll them up towards the valve as said earlier. Do not roll them in a round shape but rather in a longish shape. Use wide rubber bands cut from an old tube to stop the tube from unrolling. Remove the valve core from Schrader valves (just remember to replace them!!!!!) or unscrew top of a presta valve. You will have to keep this valve head pressed in to release the air. Mamapara it is a good way to involve the GF to cycling if she helps you with this!!!!!!!! Powder the tube lightly with talcum powder to stop it from perishing. Store it in an old sock in your tubby bag. You can also cut some gaiters from the old tube to use between the tyre and the tube if you have a cut tyre or sidewall........ a bank note works just as good.