Press Release from Cycling SA

shaunh

Press Release

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Wednesday 10 March 2010

CYCLISTS TO WEAR BLACK ARMBANDS AT CYCLE TOUR

Thousands of the 35000 entrants of Sunday?s Cape Argus Pick n Pay Cycle Tour will wear black armbands to show a collective sorrow at the death of three cyclists hit by a motorist outside Oudtshoorn on Monday morning.

Frank Nel (60), Jan Elloff (73) and Magda van Lill (50) died instantly when the bunch they were riding in was hit by a bakkie overtaking a truck on the R62, nine kilometres outside Oudtshoorn.

?This is yet another tragic incident which could have been avoided,? said Hendrik Lemmer, Director of Cycling South Africa?s Road Cycling Commission.

?On behalf of Cycling South Africa, I?d like to extend condolences to the families of those cyclists who died. I also want them to know that our appeal to cyclists to wear black armbands in the Cycle Tour on Sunday is more than a sign of our collective sorrow, it?s a commitment to do something about the lack of general awareness of cyclists on our roads.?

Lemmer says that Cycling South Africa is committed to working with the authorities to make the roads safer for cyclists.

?It?s not something that can be done overnight, because it?s a matter of raising awareness and changing attitudes,? explained Lemmer. ?But we?re determined to succeed. We have the most active recreational cycling culture in the world and it?s growing daily as more and more people discover the health and fitness benefits of the sport. On behalf of all cyclists in this country, I appeal to motorists to please be more aware.?

On Tuesday, it was announced that one of South Africa?s top professional cyclists, Daryl Impey, had become a patron of Sign-Up, a national campaign aimed at raising funds to erect more government-approved ?beware cyclist? signs along popular cycling routes throughout the country.

?I think cyclists and motorists need to begin by obeying the laws of the road,? said Impey. ?Cyclists need to realise we are not owners of the roads and vice versa. I believe we (the cyclists) should set an example for others to follow. It takes one second to slow down but also one second to kill someone, mutual respect is what we need.?

Impey races on Lance Armstrong?s Radioshack team and is a rising star on the international cycling stage. He is currently in the country accompanying Armstrong during his visit this week to Cape Town in conjunction with the JAG Foundation. Both will compete in Sunday?s Cape Argus Pick n Pay Cycle Tour, which, in terms of numbers, is the world?s largest cycle race.

?It is great to have Daryl as an ambassador and patron of Sign-Up and it will hopefully bring us much deserved exposure?, said Shaun Hannie, founder and chairman of Sign-Up.

?At this time, this is the only national cyclist awareness campaign in South Africa and it?s completely reliant on sponsorship and donations. Frustratingly, we can?t brand national road signs with corporate logos, but we appeal to companies that support cycling to support Sign-Up. One extra sign could safe one cyclist?s life??

To find out more about Sign-Up and its initiatives, visit www.sign-up.co.za

ENDS.

Good stuff Groot Lem

Now my question, Will all cyclist who wears this black arm band also sign a code of conduct that they will obey the traffic rules at all times when out on the road.

Surely, we as cyclist cannot have it only our way, and when tragic strike, we are first to share our feelings towards motoris.

When will we, the cyclist, start to show that we will change our behaviour on the public roads.

or do we wait for motorist to wear arm bands first?

nice to have a response from CSA however, wasnt it Four cyclists killed?

Its always sad that it takes a tragedy like this for people to start taking note of Safety!

nice to have a response from CSA however' date=' wasnt it Four cyclists killed?

?

Its always sad that it takes a tragedy like this for people to start taking note of Safety!
[/quote']

Official Only 3 dead and one injured.

Guest Big H
Good stuff Groot Lem

Now my question' date=' Will all cyclist who wears this black arm band also sign a code of conduct that they will obey the traffic rules at all times when out on the road.

Surely, we as cyclist cannot have it only our way, and when tragic strike, we are first to share our feelings towards motoris.

When will we, the cyclist, start to show that we will change our behaviour on the public roads.

or do we wait for motorist to wear arm bands first?[/quote']

Eerstens GROOT DANKIE vir Groot Lem Hendrik vir die persverklaring.

Hendrik let asseblief op wat Popeye hierbo gese het. Al dra ons almal swart fietsryklere op Sondag en ons gooi as op ons koppe en rou vir drie maand (let wel ek spot nie nou nie!!!!) gaan dit niks help as ons Maandag weer die hele pad vol ry in 'n bondel en oor rooi robotte ry nie en mense in karre vloek nie. Die "CODE OF CONDUCT" is 'n uiters belangrike ding wat Cycling SA moet aanpak en hierdie keer deurvoer. Cycling SA kan dit ook gebruik as 'n item om die bree publiek te verseker van die erns waarmee fietsryers hulle sport aanpak. Julle kan sommer begin om al die groot spanne hierdie "CODE OF CONDUCT" op perskonferensies met TV te laat teken.
Big H2010-03-10 03:39:58

Good stuff Groot Lem Now my question' date=' Will all cyclist who wears this black arm band also sign a code of conduct that they will obey the traffic rules at all times when out on the road. Surely, we as cyclist cannot have it only our way, and when tragic strike, we are first to share our feelings towards motoris. When will we, the cyclist, start to show that we will change our behaviour on the public roads. or do we wait for motorist to wear arm bands first?[/quote']

?

?

Hendrik let asseblief op wat Popeye hierbo gese het. Al dra ons almal swart fietsryklere op Sondag en ons gooi as op ons koppe en rou vir drie maand (let wel ek spot nie nou nie!!!!)?gaan dit niks help as ons Maandag weer die hele pad vol ry in 'n bondel?en oor rooi robotte ry nie en mense in karre vloek nie. Die "CODE OF CONDUCT" is 'n uiters belangrike ding wat Cycling SA moet aanpak en hierdie keer deurvoer. Cycling SA kan dit ook gebruik as 'n item om die bree publiek te verseker van die erns waarmee fietsryers hulle sport aanpak. Julle kan sommer begin om al die groot spanne hierdie "CODE OF CONDUCT" op perskonferensies met TV te laat teken.

This response actually annoys me and it annoys me even more that I agree with it. My big bug bear is large groups of cyclists. That is where it all goes wrong. We really do need to be more responsible.

Guest Big H
Good stuff Groot Lem Now my question' date=' Will all cyclist who wears this black arm band also sign a code of conduct that they will obey the traffic rules at all times when out on the road. Surely, we as cyclist cannot have it only our way, and when tragic strike, we are first to share our feelings towards motoris. When will we, the cyclist, start to show that we will change our behaviour on the public roads. or do we wait for motorist to wear arm bands first?[/quote']

Hendrik let asseblief op wat Popeye hierbo gese het. Al dra ons almal swart fietsryklere op Sondag en ons gooi as op ons koppe en rou vir drie maand (let wel ek spot nie nou nie!!!!) gaan dit niks help as ons Maandag weer die hele pad vol ry in 'n bondel en oor rooi robotte ry nie en mense in karre vloek nie. Die "CODE OF CONDUCT" is 'n uiters belangrike ding wat Cycling SA moet aanpak en hierdie keer deurvoer. Cycling SA kan dit ook gebruik as 'n item om die bree publiek te verseker van die erns waarmee fietsryers hulle sport aanpak. Julle kan sommer begin om al die groot spanne hierdie "CODE OF CONDUCT" op perskonferensies met TV te laat teken.

This response actually annoys me and it annoys me even more that I agree with it. My big bug bear is large groups of cyclists. That is where it all goes wrong. We really do need to be more responsible.

When the core is rotten it is rotten..... not half rotten or partially rotten or rotten so you cannot see it from the outside....... when the core is rotten the core is rotten.

Cyclists are the core of the problem. Time to remove the rot!!!!!!!!