Cracked my frame yesterday

Tubehunter

Hello hubbers.

Please help with any advice. Perhaps someone has had a similar thing done. I have a Trek 5200 OCLV. I am not the original owner, so the lifetime warranty does not apply.

Had to swerve out of the way of a brainless taxi who squeezed me left and hit a pothole on Voortrekker road as you go underneath the M5 overpass. The frame groaned a noticeable creak and although I stopped and inspected at the time, I didn't find the crack til I got home and did a thorough inspection. It's on the inside of the left seatstay. It's about a quarter of the way round the tube and it's more than just a 'paint' crease as has been common with these frames according to the web.

Some quick research on the web took me to a site about chaps who repair carbon frames based in the US. Is there anyone doing something similar locally?? The site is:

The thorn in the works is it's 4 days to the Argus so it's a lost cause. Tempted to ride the bike, but know I wont. Anyone with useful info please let me know.

Here's a pic taken with phone last night:

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i25/Tubehunter/IMG00496EdRe.jpg

Appreciated

Jay

Claim from the City of Cape Town, the road authority for your loss as a result of them not fixing the pothole. WinkTake pics of the hole before they fix it up.Wink They have a entire section that deals with such claims. They were negligent in not fixing the hole.