tubbies and clinchers

Geelwortel

Hi All

I'm fairly new to the cycling world. I'm looking at new "fast" wheels/"tri" spokes and every time I see them advertised the members ask tubbies or clinchers. What does this mean and also what is the pros and cons for both of these wheels.

Andrew

Hi All

I'm fairly new to the cycling world. I'm looking at new "fast" wheels/"tri" spokes and every time I see them advertised the members ask tubbies or clinchers. What does this mean and also what is the pros and cons for both of these wheels.

Andrew

If you are new to the cycling world I would recommend sticking to clinchers.

Basically a tubby (or tubular) is a combined tyre and tube that you glue to your rim (it requires a special rim - different to clincher).

Opinions differ but the general majority would say tubbies give a better ride - faster is of course debatable.

The obvious advantage of clinchers is that you can change the tyre, tube or both in under 2 minutes without having to get your hands dirty or wait for glue to dry.

My opinion - if you have a team car following you then use tubbies - no team car? Use clinchers.

Thanks Eldron, makes perfect sence and I will use your advice and stay with clinchers ie no support car.

Thanks Eldron' date=' makes perfect sence and I will use your advice and stay with clinchers ie no support car.[/quote']

Promise me this though - you will try tubbies before you die - preferably on an italian bike dripping campagnolo components through Tuscany. It's a zen thing.

Thanks Eldron' date=' makes perfect sence and I will use your advice and stay with clinchers ie no support car.[/quote']

Promise me this though - you will try tubbies before you die - preferably on an italian bike dripping campagnolo components through Tuscany. It's a zen thing.

Its our very own holy pilgrimage...

A lot like driving a Ferrari around the Modena test track