QR tightness

NotSpartacus

I find it incredibly tough to open my QR when needing to remove my wheels. I am paranoid about wheels falling out and hate the rattling noise I get when standing on the predals (hills) or have to put big effort into them. Is there something I can do that'll secure my wheels enough so they are tight enough not to "rattle" but still allow me to open the QR easily with min effort?

If it rattles it is waaaaaaayyy too loose. Ask a female to close it and open it. Shat should be tight enough.

Guest Big H

I put some white lithium grease on the cams. I then fit them to the fork or rear dropouts. All this is on the workshop stand. I then close the QR and hand tighten the knurled nut, making sure I take up all play on the fork or dropout ie a tight fit. I then open the OR and give the knurled nut a three quarter turn to a full turn tighter tighter. I close the QR and see if everything is tight. You quickly learn how much you must tighten the knurled nut. I then take the bike off the stand and set it down on the ground. Open the QR and make sure the axles settle properly in the dropouts and close the QR.

I also carry a small length of aluminium pipe, for some leverage, that fits over the release handle to make it easier when removing a wheel.

It appears that EA90s don't come with skewers as standard' date=' so they could be any type.

Are they external cam or internal cam skewers:
http://sheldonbrown.com/skewers.html

I have a set of external cam Zipp skewers that will creak no matter how tight I make them.
[/quote']

I have Easton Circuits that came with Velomax QR's and EA70 that came with QR's with no name but a mark that looks like Easton brand.

Never really noticed the tighteness but i just tested one bike with Eastons on and one with Open Pro and no name QR's and the eastons did need a bit more effort to open.  

There is a very good reason Shimano and Campag and other good companies don't make external cam QRs - 'cause they're rubbish.

Shimano wheels and hubs come with a QR instruction manual that more people should read. It explains there how to operate QRs and the result is pretty tight. Most people attempt to line the lever up with the fork or seatstay so that it is ostensibly "out of harm's way" but those positions dont' give you enough grip. The best position is away from all obstructions and very tight.

Any whilst I'm out making enemies with the my-external-cam-QR-is-very-good" brigade, I may as well encourage you all to file off those stupid lawyers lips on your  bikes with rim brakes. It puts the Quick back in Quick Release.

Agree with JB above.

I am always on the lookout for people swopping their XTR skewers for sexy light weights like KCNC?s.

After stripping my wife's at the start of the Ride for Sight, I watched Frans (of Tour De Frans) put the wheels back with a borrowed nut - nobody trusted me Big%20smile

Not hell of a tight - certainly no red mark but firm. Wheel did not come off LOL