Energade or Powerade

First time I'm doing The Argus this year.

What's better Energade or Powerade or water?

I've also got about six of those those energy gel packets.

The guy at the expo selling the powerbar products said that energade and powerade doesn't even have electrolytes.

Was he just being a salesman or is there truth to the statement, because on both their websites they say "contains electrolytes"

Hey Martie,

Rather use what you have been training on. Sometimes your stomach might react strangely to things you are not used to. The last thing you want is your stomach cramping, or worse - getting the "squirts" somewhere around Cape Point...

Personally, I don't use either.

Enjoy your ride on Sunday!

Martie.....you should have tried either of them much prior to Sunday's ARGUS...like in your training rides!! But either of them, correctly mixed should be fine!!!

Those energy gels may only upset your stomach if you also haven't tried them before..rather make some wholesome samies, like bread and peanut butter, a muffin or two...a banana or two

MariusL is correct. Too late to change now. BUT I've only used Energade for training and racing since 2002. I'm not a pro so I do not need super duper muties. I buy the 1l concentrate and make up 5l from it. It's only about R25 and sometime on special for R20 from Game.

Not so much training yet,  I've done one 60km ride and about six 40kms rides on weekends.

Usually I just eat a few bananas and powerade/energade.

After the 60km ride the other day I was well tired.  So I'm gonna need all the help I can get to get me through the next 50.

(anybody want to buy 6 energy gels?)

Naah should be fine, 6 jells is excessive though.. sh*t Annyone will bekak themself after 6. Have one as you go through noordhoek, and one as you get to the bottom correction suikerbossie, those 2 shouldnt kill you, If you feel like taking a chance..

Otherwise, Bananas bru!  and energade or powerade shouldnt kill you either.

But you should answer this, do you have a sensitive tummy?  try a gel and energade on a little spin around seapoint tomorrow and see what happens. never does anything to me.

PS, I still going to buy some Gu's but getting them from you will be MISSION!

I've got a stomach like an ostrich. 

But my worry is I chow all these energy cells and the have so much energy my legs cramp up.

I think I'll just take 2 like Bos said.

You're going to get Powerade or Coke at the refreshment stations whether you like it or not. So .... salt tablets from Clicks for about R40, and follow the directions (about 2 three times a day, I think) and Rehydrate sachets at about R10 each to mix into the Powerade during the race. It's a bit late to start the routine - ideally, you'd build up a bit reserve of the salts, but it'll make a bit of a difference anyway.

Just a suggestion regards drinks is to use the same as what the water points will have, if you do need to refill you wont be changing. If you have 2 bottle cages have one bottle water and one with energy drink.

• 2 weeks later...

?

First time I'm doing The Argus this year.

?

What's better Energade or Powerade or water?

?

I've also got about six of those?those energy gel packets.

?

The guy at the expo selling the powerbar products said that energade and powerade doesn't even have electrolytes.

Was he just being a salesman or is there truth to the statement' date=' because on both their websites they say "contains electrolytes"

?

?

?
[/quote'] Electrolytes is just an expensive way of saying "dissolved stuff".

Never trust a salesman when he's talking about the competitor's product.

Or his own, come to think of it.

This is especially true when the product is not really any better than water with a bit of salt and sugar added. smiley2.gif

• 4 months later...

After finishing the stellenbosh challenge75km on saturday I had the road home to capetown to ponder on my weird "form" during the race, I started feeling better after half the race was passed. I came to the conclusion! Here you go..

Instead of buying some Fit sachets which was what I initially wanted to do, I orderd some Cytomax from drinks@braun here on the hub because he promised he could deliver the next day, which he did.

I started the race verry chilled as the weather and the whole atmosphere was quite scary & heavy and I knew how tough the previous 60 km's were that Id done so the 75 would be handled with respect and for once I was riding to enjoy not race. Howevr after the first few initial climbs and miles I really didnt feel good, fealt tired, not "reved up and ready to rock" as one would like to feel on such a ride. It has been about 4 months since Ive raced on cytomax and as my post further up I even raced the Knysna mtb and road back to back on the "home made stuff" So I was pretty convinced the other stuff was all overrated..so at the 30km mark of the race, after Id had a bannana I took a sip of my small bottle and realised I have not been drinking much at all, the words of a mate came to me who said his biggest tip for the epic was to take sips every 5-10 minutes throughout..

Because It had been a cool/ cold day I had not been thirsty. After 10 minutes from taking my first sip I started feeling jolly and lively again and enjoying the ride more, every time I took sips I was like, daaarn this apple is good(try the apple flavour its DeeeVINE)

so much so that when I was feeling for my jellybabies in my pocket I would remember how good the apple tasted and then leave the jellybabys for the apple cytomax:) So Appart from sounding like some Internal Marketing scam for Cytomax, I cant wait to race on it again. I was feeling better after 5 hours than I fealt after 3 hours! I thought I could do another 2 for sure(not verry fast though but thats important for the Baviaans in 2 weeks)

Im going to train with the stuff and see how that helps as I often feel "low" when training despite maintaining a good diet. I dont have a lot of time so when I have 2 hours the 2-3 weekdays I want to make it count.

Big up Dave(hubname cytomax or drinks@braun for getting the Cytomax to me overnight!