Bringing a bike back from London

mark ellis

I am going over to the UK for a week and am very keen on bying a bike over there and brining it back with me.

Have any of you ever travelled overseas with a bike?  cant seem to find prices on the BA website

Guest Big H

You will pay tax when bringing in a complete bike or enough spares to constitute a complete bike.

Search the Hub on taxes that must be paid. There used to be a sticky on this topic. The topic was started, I think by a Hubber called "Nqala"

It may be worth your while to only bring in the frame and some selected spares. Order the rest while you are in Britain form www.chainreactioncycles.com and send it to your home address.

When back you can build the bike yourself or have it built.

Dear Mark,

May I suggest that you heavily wrap and box a dispensible rust experiment R300 special off junkmail.

Over there you chuck it and return with the new bike.

Point is you'll be tagged as leaving with a bike and returning with one. Thats all they know. No hectic interrogation about makes and values. I didn't get charged anything, but my total weight suitcase plus cartoned bike was in limits. Had a ticket to declare that I ledt the country with a bike for declaration purposes

Hmmm not so fast. You have to register goods with customs when you leave to re-import, and that involves a serial number. And you might get away with your scam when coming back, and you might not in which case you will be in the pooh.

You can bring in goods duty free for a few thousand Rands, and the balance you pay a flate rate on, I think 20% but check the Customs dept. webite. You will need to produce an 'Invoice' (nudge nudge wink wink)

Well my experienced is a bit different as mentioned somewhere here on the HUb before - I left SA with no bike & returned from the UK with a bike, in a bike bag, told them upon my return I was here to participate in the Argus Cycle Tour race which happen to be true, Customs Guy asked why I was not declaring, told him I didn't know that I should as I was going to return back to the UK, I just kept walking & told him next time boet.

You could tell them you're here for the Cape Epic or pretend to look like a tourist as there will be many streaming through the airport round about the same time they will not be next be expecting a brand new bike

Guest Big H
I think we should start a 'how to import bike parts and avoid duties' thread

Do NOT be so lazy..... use the SEARCH facility and check the archives. Read other postings before shooting from the hip. This issue has been debated and discussed MANY MANY times....... or do you like to be spoonfed....mmmmm?????

Go and look here for instance.....

Also contact nqala24 , (a hubber see details below)

gavin@chumba.co.za
gavin@kyden.co.za for your customs clearing requirements
zero eighty two 4113486

Yes you can try blag your way through customs and you might get away with it ... but if youare bring a new bike in (or laptop / camera etc) , and dont have a return ticket it could cost you.

Best declare it, and pay something if its over the limit to what you can bring in customs fee, something depending you creative you get about the 'Invoice' as mentioned above.?

bUY IT IN THE  UK and then bring back the parts in your luguage and send the frame and wheels back with parcelforce.

I take it you will be buying from CRC?

Rustig Big-H, het die Beer `n seertoon of wat ?

Ek weet van dai thread en dit gee net die duties tax, kyk mooi dat ek s? "avoid" soos in as ek die fiets in my tas sit dan gan ek nie geld betaal as ek hom inbring nie en so voorts, so in die thread kan jy tips gee aan ander oor wat om te doen om ekstra koste te vermy. 

En dan moet jy Mark die OP op die vingers tik, hy moes gesearch het.

Ok Rant over.

Guest Big H
Rustig Big-H' date=' het die Beer `n seertoon of wat ?

Ek weet van dai thread en dit gee net die duties tax, kyk mooi dat ek s? "avoid" soos in as ek die fiets in my tas sit dan gan ek nie geld betaal as ek hom inbring nie en so voorts, so in die thread kan jy tips gee aan ander oor wat om te doen om ekstra koste te vermy. 

En dan moet jy Mark die OP op die vingers tik, hy moes gesearch het.

Ok Rant over.
[/quote']

Sooooo..... eintlik wil jy he ons moet mekaar leer om so skelm soos jy te wees...... uh uh ek dink nie dit is reg nie!!!!!!!!

Daar is legal maniere om dit te doen....... betaal die Keiser wat hom toekom!!!!!!!!

Ek sien geen rede om onnodige ekstra geld te betaal as jy nie hoef nie, geld wat seker Malema se 'bubly' betaal by sy paarties.