Advice on which MTB Pedals to get?

JohnQ

I've been a roadie for many years and have just recently acquired a MTB.

In winter I would like to start doing some mountain bike trails and with in the next few years maybe the cape epic.

So with that info would pedals would you advice getting? I've looked at the cwcycles online shop and they range from R500 to R3000.

I want something thats good quality but will not break the bank. I don't want to buy cheap and after a few rides it I regret it - but is there a difference between like the R500 and the R1000 pedals. I don't want to go completely overboard and buy the R2000 pedals.

Any recommendations?

You are basically going to be told to go for Shimano or Crank Bro's (based on past threads on this)... the price difference is more about weight than performance so (IMO) it's not worth the cost. The first puddle of mud you go through will weigh more than the extra R2k saves... Doesn't seem like there's much difference between CB's and Shimano's as far as performance goes (everyone says their pedals are the best). Personally I use Crank Bro's Candy C's and they do the job perfectly.

I have 1 set of brand new Crank Bro's Candy C pedals with cleats for R400 if you happen to decide on those, never been on a bike (just putting it out there).

C bros always look the part and have the lightest on the market,BUT!!!!! they constantly are breaking or in need of a service replacement kit. I have spent the last three months at my LBS and so many have needed rebuilds.SHIMANO XTR will fit your budget and are their lightest varient.YOU just dont get shimano rebuild kits.

So if you got lots of money for regular rebuilds use C BROS as theirs will be lighter.XTR if you want reasonable weight and bomb proof pedals.

always been on shimano from the R400 ones to XTR, done many km's, dust, mud you name it, never a complaint, they just work

Shaun is about right.

The CB eggbeaters can be more flimsy, but they clip in and out in ANY type of mud conditions.  Believe me having to take 5 minutes to scrape the mud off your shoes so you can get in your shimanos aint fun and then you will fall over when you stop as you can clip out.  CB pedals push the mud out and you have no issues then.

There are other things to look at, the shimano has a bigger platform so some like this(maybe you coming from road pedals) and you can set the release tension on shimanos, only the angle can be set on the CB's.

IMO buy the CB eggbeater MXR's about R500, mine gave good service but they can rust easily so look out for that.

Shimano 540 or xt (520 is also good.)

Great for mud

xtr is not really worth the price for 50 grams, like the dude says, pick up some mud, and all  the weight savings is gone.

I was useing Shimano XT pedals but couldn't get used to them i then bought LOOK and i am very happy.See if you can try a few out as it's a personal thing.

Been riding with the Shimano 540's for 3 years now, no problems.

You can adjust the tension on them which is nice.

I prefer to ride with low tension to get my feet out for the occasional unplanned stop.LOL

I agree with gummibear regarding this being a personal thing. When I started MTBing in full force early last year, I wanted pedals which you can clip in as well as having a "cage" to be of assistance when you can clip in immediately. I bought myself the Shimano PD-M647 pedals and haven't had a day's problems with them! But, it is a personal thing (I paid R800 for them just before the price increase last year) and they really work for me!

Last time I did maths:

mud + standard pedal = heavier bike.

mud + lightweight pedal = heavier bike, but still lighter.

For R 375 odd you cant go wrong with Shimano 520's - strong and simple - never managed to break three or so sets in 10 years. Bearings will wear eventually, but I bet the XT and XTR do too.

Shimano 540(As far as I can see they are the same as the XT's)  or XTR. Depending on your budget. I have seen a few Eggbeaters fail prematurely.

I've used lots of different pedals, the last time I used the shimano pedals, I was cycling in the remote wild coast, fell off in a sandy road, and ripped the sole off of my shoes trying to get the cleats to release (duct tape works on shoes too!). I've since used Crank Bros Candy C's and Eggbeaters, and not had a problem.

Shimano's seem to seize if the are worn and get either sand or mud, of which there is plenty on the Wild Coast Trails, between the cleat and the pedal.

Thanks for all the replies. Lots of useful info.

I think I'll be getting the 520's. They very reasonably priced and looks like a decent pedal and I"m not concerned about the weight.

I can always upgrade at a later stage.