What bike??

slabs

I need to make a decision on one of these 3 bikes: GT Sensor 1.0 vs GT Marathon (Carbon) vs Specialized Stumpjumper.

Am looking at reliable and comfortable bike that can handle long distance events such as Trans Baviaans, but will also be good for the shorter distance MTB races.

The GT Sensor is not carbon, but has great specs and apparantly a very good ride. Prices all range in the mid R20K.

Here is another question? Does duel suspension really outweigh hardtails as a buy? Just looking at weight difference (unless you have plenty $) and maintenance, hardtails become a lot more atrractive...A good duel weighs about 13kg vs 10kg for hardtail. That 3 kg's over distance can make a big difference. Also a good setup on your front shocks should be sufficient if you are a middle of the pack rider. Riding in bad weather or dust also means lot less things can go rong on your hardtail.

Anyone disagree?

Don't disagree but u can ask ur ass/body the same question after a long hard technical bone jarring ride.     

Again, my body should be fine. Ass - no commentSmile. I heard the guy that did the Epic with Breyen Paulse last year threw out all the weight he could (even had v-brakes). Theory - he knew that he would be in the saddle for a very long time and would rather have a light bike that could go uphill better than a heavier one... Also if your front suspension is set-up well there is a lot less strain on your body. In other words spend as much as you can on the front and then worry about the rest?