What caused me to Bonk like a school girl??

mark ellis

Rode Babas 70km on Sunday,

Bonked like I have never before in my life!!!!

Had a very easy week training with just a gym session on Monday and a 45 min Spin session on the Thursday.

Carbo loaded from Thursday.

First 30 km was terrible, had no legs or energy.  then finally came right for a while but then bonked hard last 10km.

I had an energy bar just before the start, could this have caused my glocose (or what ever)  levels to go all over??

Did I do too little during the week?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any sugary drink/food right before a race is a bad idea. It causes a sudden spike in blood insulin, and this inhibites your body's ability to burn fat at an early stage of the race. You need a good fat/glycogen burn ratio to sustain an extended effort. Otherwise you last max 2hours...if you are very fit.

how much do you cycle/train during the week , maybee you are training too little and wanting to race too much 

how much do you cycle/train during the week ' date=' maybee you are training too little and wanting to race too much  [/quote']

Ride an average of about 5 hours during a normal week, but only got in about 2 the week before and then just the  one session the week before the race.

Most I have riden in training though is about 55km, guess not really ideal

My guess is the energy bar right before the start. Its never a good idea.

I don't understand why you say this?? Please explain

I did in my second post.

I did in my second post.

Sorry, did not see, I didn't know that, I guess it is not a good thing to down a gel just before the race.??

Sorry' date=' did not see, I didn't know that, I guess it is not a good thing to down a gel just before the race.??
[/quote']

Gels are different (most in any case). They do not provide an insulin spike like you would get from a sugary substance. In actual fact you will notice that most gel consumption must start prior to the race start.

Sorry' date=' did not see, I didn't know that, I guess it is not a good thing to down a gel just before the race.??
[/quote']

Gels are different (most in any case). They do not provide an insulin spike like you would get from a sugary substance. In actual fact you will notice that most gel consumption must start prior to the race start.

Please explain this. Any gel is still a carbohydrate. How will these sugars be transported in to the system without a sudden insulin spike?

You normally have enough energy reserves for 1 hour of racing. So you should start eating about 30 minutes into the race.