Prize Money at Road Races

mallo

Argus entries +-38000 cyclists prize money first place R16000-00 only!!!!!!!!

Two Oceans +-8000 runners prize money first place R150000-00(R2

Comrades +-22000 runnersprize money first place R250000-00

What does cycling organizers do with all the entry fees and sponsorship raised for their events if they pay such

pathetic sums to our best rider on the day? Their expenses does not come close to that of either road race mentioned so they cannot use that as an excuse.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so each entrant paid less than 50c to the price money.. I wonder where there rest of the entry fee went?

its crazy!!!

What expenses do they have ?

All drinks and food - sponsored by P&P

Traffic cops - payed by government and City of Cape Town

Paramedics - "                              "

TV - sh*t - can't imagine paying for that poor broadcast!! but either way - SABC = government owned so prob payed for by government.

Surely the organizers don't have to pay Cape Town to "use" the road etc - I mean its a moerse income for Cape town.

So lets take R240 as average entry fee (see below prices)

+- 38 000 riders x R240   =  R 9 120 000 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so where did all the cash go ? If its like this, I can only imagine the organizers would love to have the Argus more than once a year then!

Argus prices

"If you are a member of a Cycling Club or Association affiliated to

Cycling South Africa, their entry fee is R260. If you are a valid PPA

member, you receive a R30 discount and your entry fee is R230.

If

you do not belong to either a Club or Association affiliated to Cycling

South Africa, then your entry fee is R295. This includes the cost of a

"One day event licence".

International entrants pay R450 and African

entrants pay R300."

They announced at the race yesterday that the entry fees only cover something like one-third of what it costs to put each rider on the road.

They announced at the race yesterday that the entry fees only cover something like one-third of what it costs to put each rider on the road.

yeah right! - look a flying pig!

"They announced at the race yesterday that the entry fees only cover something like one-third of what it costs to put each rider on the road. "

That still leaves them with R6m...

Heard that as well... would be interesting to hear what they see as expenses.

Guess they don't see that the Argus is a hell of a cash injection to the tourist industry in cape town and surrounding areas.

as a whole the City of Cape town benefits alot from the Argus.

I thought that the Argus was traditionally a charity event, with the proceeds being split between PPA and Rotary. I was always under the impression that there wasn't any prize money because it was a charity event.

I thought that the Argus was traditionally a charity event' date=' with the proceeds being split between PPA and Rotary. I was always under the impression that there wasn't any prize money because it was a charity event.[/quote']

you have to make it worth while for the pro/semi pro teams to pitch for a "funride" like this.

Yeah the titel is more worth it than the cash, but you got to give them what they deserve. For some of them its another day at the office - if its not worth while then there is no need to try and become a pro rider in SA.

Sorry little off the topic, does anyone know what the prize money for the racing tandems was?

Classic .... nothing like the facts! Do you guys really want to go there... Just now they will shut this site down! TongueClap 

I thought that the Argus was traditionally a charity event' date=' with the proceeds being split between PPA and Rotary. I was always under the impression that there wasn't any prize money because it was a charity event.[/quote']you have to make it worth while for the pro/semi pro teams to pitch for a "funride" like this.Yeah the titel is more worth it than the cash, but you got to give them what they deserve. For some of them its another day at the office - if its not worth while then there is no need to try and become a pro rider in SA.

Of course it's worth their while. They all knew the prize purse before the event yet still felt it worthwhile to enter because that is how their sponsors get coverage.

If the pro teams didn't start the Argus then the only difference to the other 35000 riders is that there would be 60 or 70 less people finishing in front of them.

I am not a pro cyclist, but I think it is a disgrace what the elite cyclists are earning on prize money in general.

What type of income are they getting from the sponsorships? Is that enough to make a  decent living and therefore the prize money for events are so crappy?

I am really feeling for these guys.

Thanks for the link. Shocking...

So take R16000' date=' less 10% for management and then split that by 8 riders(team), and I made R1800 for winning the Argus!![/quote']

That's an insult!

So instead of moaning on twitter, why doesnt these pro's boycot these races? Thats the only way they'll get the point across.