CSA Licences

BBJSportGuy

Hi

On SAfm on Saturday, we are chatting with the President of CSA, Lawrence Whittaker.

They are looking to enforce a law, that to take part in any cycling race in South Africa, one has to be a licenced cyclist. The cost should be around R150 per year.

I would like to know what you think about that.

Will it stop you from taking part in fun rides? Are you willing to pay that for some added CSA protection?

Let me know so that I can bring it up on air on Saturday.

Jon Gericke

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My view is that it's nothing but a money making racket.

Why must a guy who rides 5 times a year and is seeded in "Y" group, get a license ?

I'm happy to pay for a licence but what really irks me is that I am being forced to join a club before I can get a cyclo-sport licence!!

My view is that it's nothing but a money making racket.
Why must a guy who rides 5 times a year and is seeded in "Y" group' date=' get a license ?[/quote']

To run the Comrades or the Two oceans a runner has to get a licence.

I agree with E1A104!!!!!  Just sell me the lic, that's it.  Most clubs don't give me the support I want (I'm not saying no support!!!)

Why do you think that it is great? I need reasons why you are for or against....

I agree with Phoenix, it is great.  Cycling need to move forward...are we going to be glorified funriders for ever? There should be some sort of distinction between funrider and "racer".  Should have happend a long time ago.

Edgars are having a sale on playtex if it's support you're looking for .... and  it's still cheaper than joining a club and you get to choose the colour you want!!

But that is the point, is it not. Most people on the road are funriders. Those that want to "race", pay your fees and race.

I feel that there will be less people riding "organised" rides like the 94.7 etc and more people riding funrides without proper marshals etc.

I think that a licence forced upon someone will be the end of the social rider who want to have fun. Maybe this is not the correct forum as most of you are "cyclists" not riders.

bbjsportguy:PLEASE ASK CSA HOW CAN THEY IMPLEMENT A LICENSE LAW WHEN THEY HAVE NOT HAD AN AMENDMENT DONE TO THE CONSTITUTION EITHER AT THEIR CONGRESS IN APRIL OR AT A SGM FOR SUCH PURPOSE.ARTICLE 16 SAYS WE CAN RIDE WITHOUT LICENSES HENCE THEY NEED TO CHANGE THIS WHAT IS CURRENTLY HAPPENING IS BASICALLY FRAUD WHERE PROVINCES ARE FORCING CYCLISTS TO PAY R30-00 FOR A DAY LICENSE. YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THIS ONE.(Malcolm Hassen).

Can someone define what support CSA will give me ?

Phoenix can you advise what is great about it. The majority of riders are fun riders who aren't part of a club and don't ride league. Please explain how it helps them and what they get for their money.

I will have to stop doing these fun rides . Once CSA/GCA/SPCA has got all their ducks in a row I will license with the greatest of pleasure !

Hi

On SAfm on Saturday' date=' we are chatting with the President of CSA, Lawrence Whittaker.
They are looking to enforce a law, that to take part in any cycling race in South Africa, one has to be a licenced cyclist. The cost should be around R150 per year.

I would like to know what you think about that.

Will it stop you from taking part in fun rides? Are you willing to pay that for some added CSA protection?

Let me know so that I can bring it up on air on Saturday.

Jon Gericke
[/quote']

Jon, one of the biggest problems at the moment is that the information that is coming through the clubs is in bits and pieces. If CSA could send out one official communication to the provincial unions and copying the club secretaries we might actually know what is happening.

Not eveyone wants (or can get) an elite licence, and would prefer the Cyclosport licence.

I guess the biggest problem at this stage is not where or not everyone should or should not be licenced, but rather the communication (or lack thereof) that is of concern.

BTW, will it be on the afternoon show??
Frosty2007-07-05 09:24:12

Now I must raise some points again (yawn):

Licenced riders sign an agreement that they will not take banned substances. Fun riders do not undertake to do the same.

This point is important because:

will CSA be willing and able to test the entire field of a race, or will the implicit agreement be that "it is OK to dope so long as you don't win", with only top 5 places being doped.

Secondly, is it fair to expect the backpackers to be aware of all banned performance enhances, and even more expect them not to take them to clear a cold ext.

Thirdy, you could be denying a person who requires such medicine the joy of completing a endurance challenge, which could give him a sense of meaning and acheivement.

THe second point is will the licences be "sold" by the CSA or by the provinces or by the clubs? How will this be controlled?

Firstly, is the CSA, provincial and club infrastructure strong enough to handle the administration load?

Secondly, does the CSA have sufficient capacity to move from 2000 to 100 000 licences overnight?

The third argument is about the nature of cycling itself. Does a licence make you a cyclist or does it make you a racer. How do you define a race over a fun ride? If me and a few mates cycle 60km together is this a fun ride? If there are prizes and an entry fee is this a race? Is the crater cruise a race? Also what about the interests of cyclists that are not racers, but commuters who like the security of a sunday cycle that has been "closed off from cars" for the enjoyment of being on the bike?

I think before you start pushing for one licence for all you need to consider the nature and history of cycling both in the RSA and world wide. Always remember, we are not all bike racers.

Why do you think that it is great? I need reasons why you are for or against....

?

I agree with Phoenix' date=' it is great.? Cycling need to move forward...are we going to be glorified funriders for ever? There should be some sort of distinction between funrider and "racer".? Should have happend a long time ago.
[/quote']

Poison can you please explain how the forcing of licences is moving cycling forward. How is alienting the majority of cyclists (and the majority are non-league, non-club affiliated) moving us forward ? If you can advise what benefit the average rider will get from buying a license then maybe I'll agree. But at the moment I can think of absolutely nothing that a current non-licensed rider would get for his money.