fox shock

skollie

There's some "scuf" marks on my shock. (think it is called stantions) And it leak some oil on the same side after a ride. What do you guys think? Big problem??? Any DIY tips.

20100315_155542_fox_shock_merke.JPG

Got the same, apparently the only real fix is a new upper crown assembly. Costs about 2.5- 3k.

Although I was also told there is some kind conversion to buffers or something.

pretty stuffed I am afraid. Due to lack of oil and ingress of dirt the stanchions anodizing has worn off....you'll still be able to ride them, but hey are on their last legs, because of that the seals are gone and more and more dirt will be getting in.

new fork time :(

Like Danger Dassie said you can get a new stanchion assembly that'll set you back about R3k A lot cheaper than R5k+ for a new fork....

There are no quick fixes for this one I'm afraid. As it has been discussed before a fork needs to serviced often to prevent this kinda thing.

Prevention is better than cure.

Is there any hubbers that got the new stanchion as techguy said? Does it work like a new shock again, or will it be better to get a whole new one? Anybody know the price of a new Fox 32 F100RL?

I have had a few clients who have had to have it done, it is basically a new fork, the stanchion/crown assembly is fitted with new bushes at the same time as well as dust wipers, and depending on the condition of the oil, Russel (from Fox) might do a new seal kit as well.

A new F100RL will set you back anywhere from R9500

I don't know how old! Ouch I bought it 2ndhand from a guy a few days ago. He assured me the shock has been serviced lately, (with new seals) and that the mechanic said the scuffmarks is nothing serious. Now I learned the hard way.... Cry  At the moment it is still working fine.

Aaah sh!tt!!

I feel for you....the sod took you for a ride....leterrally.

Any way that you can get your money back? or at least some of it?

Was it a Hub sale?

If yes. Name and shame!!

The mechanic is doff if he thinks that's not serious! normally those wear marks will start by the bush where it rubs which is a good 10-15mm below the dust wipers, so once it becomes visible above the dust wipers there's a problem!

The mechanic is doff if he thinks that's not serious! normally those wear marks will start by the bush where it rubs which is a good 10-15mm below the dust wipers' date=' so once it becomes visible above the dust wipers there's a problem![/quote']

Exactly what I thought!! Anyway, I spoke to my lbs, and they said it will cost me around R2500, just as you said. Think I'm gonna do it - don't have the money for a new one! But didn't bargain on this.... but at least now I know it's gonna be almost new.

Don't know if the seller is a hubber - but I hope he see this and feel ashamed. Well, that's life.